WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Not a BUG for ---tce-setdrive fails?  (Read 2425 times)

aus9

[SOLVED] Not a BUG for ---tce-setdrive fails?
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
hi

Mods feel free to move or merge with this post as it may be related?
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5781.0

If I try to logout and backup while doing so it says no backup and errors encountered similar to above post.

In cpanel if I choose set up backup device....it opens a terminal and says its already set (to my old one)

If in a terminal I run

Code: [Select]
sudo so
tce-setup /mnt/sda2/tcebackup

The output is that its already set as the olde one...../mnt/sda2/tce....meaning it never considers my new request.
(I am a TC newbie so not sure if I can force it or not)

If I click in cpanel to backup.....it fails and says says a tmp-log is produced

tmp log says it can't find /mnt/sda2/tcebackup/mydata.tgz

So I create the folder and copy my mydata to that area and try again ....still no joy.

PS

I was on TC 2.11....then grabbed the kernel and tinycore.gz from 2.11.1.....just recently and that is when my issues started

Thanks for reading
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:05:51 AM by aus9 »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tce-setdrive fails?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
The stored value used for backup in in the file /opt/.backup_device

tce-setup  intended use is for microcore text mode to load up additional .gz and tcz to get to a full Tiny Core environment. It is not to be used to set a backup device on an existing system..

tce-setdrive intended use is when one has booted into cloud mode, or forgets to add the one time boot code, e.g.,  tce=hda2, to setup extension persistency and default backup location. In such cases using tce-setdrive will achieve the same effect as such boot code. It is not to be used to set a backup device on an existing system.

You set the backup device via control panel Backup/Restore GUI. Only upon a successful backup will the specified device be updated in /opt/.backup_device.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

aus9

Re: [SOLVED] NOT A BUG=tce-setdrive fails?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:31 AM »
hi

1) well its resolved itself in any case .....maybe I needed to do a few reboots?

opt/.backup_device output is sda2

cpanel...click on Set TCE drive............. shows /mnt/sda2/tce

cpanel....click on backup.....shows sda2.....clicking on backup now works with no errros

logout button.....with backup.....now works with no errors

2) thanks for the explanation

3) my menu.lst cheatcodes are: max_loop=255 noicons tz=UTC-8 home=sda2 opt=sda2 tce=sda2