WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New user with some questions  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Plasma

• Plasma Core LNX "The Worlds Fastest OS"
New user with some questions
« on: June 19, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »
Hi
.....New here and to Linux and I want to take the oportunity to thank the devs of Tiny Core. I have tried emulating, under Windows, a few Distros and I have to say that, TC runs very smooth which, is why it interests me.

I have a couple of old machines that I could try it on later, in real hardware mode but, first, I would like to learn what I can about the Linux Kernel and about how to add applications to it.

So, beforehand, sorry for the generalized ignorance but, one of the very first applications that I would like to add to TC is Opera 10. Can somebody steer me in the right direction on how to go about doing this ?

......Maybe somebody has a step by step procedure  for doing this already ??

I'm not sure if my current machine can bootstrap up an OS inside a thumb drive, but I wouold like to learn how to install TC to one, nevertheless.  if that fails, then I would have to settle for burning the .iso image to a DVD R before actually going for a full hardware install.

Thanks
Plasma

ps What do you think of the included wallpaper for a background ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:36:26 PM by Rich »
Plasma Sustainability

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
one of the very first applications that I would like to add to TC is Opera 10.

You can load the opera10 extension using the app browser

I'm not sure if my current machine can bootstrap up an OS inside a thumb drive, but I would like to learn how to install TC to one, nevertheless.

There's instructions for this in the wiki

Offline Plasma

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:00:00 PM »

OK, thnks Juanito. I'll take a look in there.

Btw, I just burned the .iso TC image to a CD R and no bootup on  my laptop.  I have burned other Distros the same way but, just with the Distro's .iso on these CD R's and I have ben able to boot up with them, at least on this particular laptop.  When I look inside of the TC burnt CD R, I see other folders/files and stuff.  what do they mean ?

Do you know where I can find out on how to modify the TC download to be able to boot up a machine with TC ?

I have Deep Burner and I might be able to extract/modify it there if someone out there knows how to do it.

Thanks
Plasma
Plasma Sustainability

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
Do you know where I can find out on how to modify the TC download to be able to boot up a machine with TC ?

See here: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Installing+TC

Offline Plasma

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »

....Ok, threw away the first CD R.  I'm not sure what I did wrong. But, The second TC .iso image I burned worked !

I think it's was due to my CD r drive.. I have labeled this Copy Plasma Core LNX v 0.0.1 .

My idea, at least at first, is to create a Distro with just Opera 10 on it, having everything, drivers, patches, ect. that it might need for an excelent internet experience. This includes great connectivity including easy user WIFI access.

.....90% of what I want this Distro to do is wrapped up in it being a superb internet platform OS. That, plus the fact that Opera has a version for celular phones so that the user can switch between PC and celphone to check e_mail, calendar, ect. Sorry, but Opera rocks !

If this works out, then, I would like to add, at first, one free multiplayer game to the Distro....

......Maybe like the Open Source Flight Gear Simulator.

What do you all think ?

If anybody out has already done somthing like this, please point me in the right direction.

Plasma

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:50:48 PM by Plasma »
Plasma Sustainability

Offline limeblack

Re: New user with some questions
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »
If you follow the tutorial below you can integrate Extensions in with tiny core linux.  This should allow you to package Opera in your own distro along with alsa or oss.

Packaging Extensions with Tiny Core Linux - http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Integrating+Extensions

Also here is how you set up sound.

Setting up Sound in Tiny Core - Linuxhttp://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Setting+up+Sound

I don't know very much about tiny core linux but from what I have read it is incredible cool.

Hope that helps :)

Offline Plasma

Re: New user with some questions
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 03:22:13 PM »

OK Thanks !

Plasma
Plasma Sustainability