WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tinycore_v2.11rc3  (Read 20361 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: tinycore_v2.11rc3
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »
It has already been requested to post freedesktop extension related issues in a different thread.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5800.msg30845#msg30845

But note too, that while we were implementing the freedesktop standard, both in base and extensions, a last minute change request occurred. So please be patient, as extensions are updated. Check if a newer version of the extension is already posted. If you are still having an issue then please post here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=5810.0

In 2.11 it is not mandatory to have freedesktop items, but if such exist, they need to be compliant as Jason has posted, and such items trump the older jwm/wbar specs. 2.11 will still support our existing jwm/wbar menu/icon specs to be backward compatible with the 2.x series. In the 3.x series we will no longer be supporting jwm/wbar as menu/icon specifications.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:55:03 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline meanpt

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 05:05:21 AM »
Maro and roberts,

Thanks for the feed-back. As a mere user and pretty newbie to Linux I only wish to report what, as a user, I found confusing in the new release and seemed to not work as "expected", in relation to what I was used with the distro. I know there is a wiki, FAQ an other documention but already gave up using them as much as before, cause they have not been updated, including some critical tools even for a user, e.g. Application Browser and Control Panel, as well as the ... well ... historical behaviour of the graphical environment. And this is the core reason for posting here, this is, the basic environment is not behaving as expected and I do not know whether this is "normal" or not. This question is: what should I expect for the final 2.11 to be regarding the way menus and the bar icons will behave.

And I do this because in some way we all (have reasons to and) do care about it. But, of course, anything regarding applications will be reported in the due area of the forum.

Regarding webkit.tcz, seems that midori also depends on it and for the time being midori installed and is running fine. But on RC2, the installation of midori usually froze while  webkit.tcz was being installed as a dependency.

By the way, is there a "cooking" or snapshot version of the RC3?

Regards,

Meanpt
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:18:29 AM by meanpt »

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 05:24:21 AM »
In the 3.x series we will no longer be supporting jwm/wbar as menu/icon specifications.
Is it the plan to drop wbar? (I hope not.) Or do you intend to have scripts to populate the wbar config file from freedesktop entries?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 06:04:50 AM »
Or do you intend to have scripts to populate the wbar config file from freedesktop entries?

This. Less work for extension creators (at least with things that have .desktop files), should make using other icon managers easier.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »
No plans to drop wbar. Like Curaga said, it will be even easier for extension makers.

Most applications now come with freedesktop items. So to support wbar and legacy window mangers all one needs to do is to add the X-FullPathIcon= line to an existing .desktop item. No need to learn the JWM menu format. No need to learn the wbar menu format. Legacy window manager menu and wbar icons will automatically populated as before.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.