WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: alsa issues  (Read 17060 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: alsa issues
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
According to bootup complaints, alsa-oss seems to need the snd pcm, mixer installed before it loads. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 06:56:58 PM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:39 PM »
Success!!  I installed a new soundcard.h, which allowed me to recompile alsa-oss-1.0.12. I used alsa-lib-1.0.19, and didn't have any boot errors (I guess you added dev/dsp and /dev/mixer). Then I ran alsaconf, udevtrigger --subsystem-match=sound,  and loaded the modules: mknod /dev/dsp dc 14 3,  mknod /dev/mixer c 14 3, modprobe snd_pcm-oss, modprobe snd_mixer_oss.    The Output Plugin in XMMS preferences needed to be set to OSS Driver 1.2.11 (I think that's the default, but mine was set to the wrong one).

I copied the soundcard.h file from my Puppy setup.  I guess there's a way to save the alsaconfig
in opt/filelist so I don't have to keep repeating the process, and I'll write up a bootup script for the rest.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:33:38 AM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:27 AM »
I have not rebooted and tested what udev and such does if alsa is loaded during boot, but I had to do the above to make alsa-oss work.
Udev does not handle wrapper modules like the alsa-oss ones, they must be manually loaded. An install script to do that would be best, so users don't need to modprobe themselves (or add to bootlocal.sh)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »
There is a startup script in the alsa-oss extensin that was posted yesterday that modprobes the modules and creates the devices. 

But rerunning alsaconf after initial setup deletes the devices, so recreating the devices after each alsaconf is necessary for using alsa-oss.  A solution is in discussion as part of an update to the alsa.ecel extension that solves that, so for now recreating the devices is necessary after each alsaconf.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 03:36:48 AM by Jason W »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 04:30:57 AM »
Success!!  I installed a new soundcard.h, which allowed me to recompile alsa-oss-1.0.12...I copied the soundcard.h file from my Puppy setup...

Good  :)

Are you sure alsa-oss is required (it looks like some kind of compaitibility kludge for very old stuff to work)? BTW, soundcard.h from the 2.6.26 kernel might be more appropriate for compiling alsa-oss...

After recompiling alsa-drivers-1.0.17 (I chose this because this is what's included in the 2.6.26 kernel tree) to enable oss and without compiling alsa-oss-1.0.17, this enabled me to play mp3s with xmms:
Code: [Select]
$ sudo mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
$ sudo mknod /dev/mixer c 14 3
$ sudo alsaconf
$ sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss
$ sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss
$ sudo udevtrigger --subsystem-match=sound

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 06:54:49 AM »
jpeters, is it only skype and not your sound card, that you needed alsa for?

'cause I just took a look at Skype download page, and they have an OSS-enabled binary there available for download ( http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/ )

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »
alsa-oss was probably not needed even with the original alsa extension as creating the device nodes and inserting snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss is surely what gave it sound.  I will pull the exetension upon the upload of the newer alsa that takes care of the devices and modules.  Hopefully the rebuilt alsa and alsa_modules can be made PPI and TCZ compatible as the icing on the cake.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
jpeters, is it only skype and not your sound card, that you needed alsa for?

'cause I just took a look at Skype download page, and they have an OSS-enabled binary there available for download ( http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/choose/ )

I used the static version from the Skype site you posted. It required alsa, qt4 and support libs in order to work. Skype worked fine without alsa-libs and alsa-oss, but xmms
wouldn't, which prompted the thread. They may have updated the version to work with OSS, I'll try and see if it works. 

Edit: I see they have posted two static versions, one for alsa and one for skype. The OSS version may have just been posted...or else I missed it...

Quote from: Juanito
Are you sure alsa-oss is required (it looks like some kind of compaitibility kludge for very old stuff to work)? BTW, soundcard.h from the 2.6.26 kernel might be more appropriate for compiling alsa-oss...

After recompiling alsa-drivers-1.0.17 (I chose this because this is what's included in the 2.6.26 kernel tree) to enable oss and without compiling alsa-oss-1.0.17, this enabled me to play mp3s with xmms:
Code:
$ sudo mknod /dev/dsp c 14 3
$ sudo mknod /dev/mixer c 14 3
$ sudo alsaconf
$ sudo modprobe snd-pcm-oss
$ sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss
$ sudo udevtrigger --subsystem-match=sound

I tried all the listed commands before recompiling alsa-oss with the un-adapted soundcard.h, and xmms failed to play. 

Quote from: Jason W
alsa-oss was probably not needed even with the original alsa extension as creating the device nodes and inserting snd_pcm_oss and snd_mixer_oss is surely what gave it sound.  I will pull the exetension upon the upload of the newer alsa that takes care of the devices and modules.  Hopefully the rebuilt alsa and alsa_modules can be made PPI and TCZ compatible as the icing on the cake.
It didn't work for me.....

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:13:33 PM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
ldd output of the static-oss version:
   libasound.so.2 => not found
   libXv.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libXv.so.1 (0xf7f08000)
   libXss.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libXss.so.1 (0xf7f05000)
   libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/libSM.so.6 (0xf7efd000)
   libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/libICE.so.6 (0xf7ee6000)
   libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXi.so.6 (0xf7ede000)
   libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0xf7ed4000)
   libXrandr.so.2 => /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2 (0xf7ecd000)
   libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libXfixes.so.3 (0xf7ec8000)
   libXcursor.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1 (0xf7ebf000)
   libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libXinerama.so.1 (0xf7ebc000)
   libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0xf7e4e000)
   libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/local/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xf7e23000)
   libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xf7e17000)
   libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xf7d29000)
   librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xf7d21000)
   libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xf7d1d000)
   libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7d0b000)
   libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7c21000)
   libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xf7bfd000)
   libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7bf2000)
   libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xf7ae2000)
   libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0xf7ace000)
   libexpat.so.1 => /usr/lib/libexpat.so.1 (0xf7aad000)
   libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xf7aaa000)
   libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf7aa5000)
Somewhat curiously the OSS version requires an alsa lib. No QT4 libs in sight, but several Xorg libs instead.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
I submitted the support libs, but Jason requested documentation before I can post it. I'm looking for it, although I think I had to collect it from a variety of RPM archives. BTW, the OSS version is recent, and it works without alsa.  They must have just posted it, because the version I downloaded required alsa.  I'll see if I can find documentation for the support libs and post it today.  

john

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
I submitted the support libs, but Jason requested documentation before I can post it. I'm looking for it, although I think I had to collect it from a variety of RPM archives. BTW, the OSS version is recent, and it works without alsa.  They must have just posted it, because the version I downloaded required alsa.  I'll see if I can find documentation for the support libs and post it today.  

Jason: Note why I included more than the libX files in the support package  :D
john

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 10:51:50 AM »
Jpeters,
It appears that the OSS static version of Skype requires only a few Xorg libs from our Xorg extension like Curaga posted.  That reduces the size of the support libs extension down to about 16kb, and that extension is in the gmail thread. Maybe that is all it needs to function outside of the alsa lib for sound.  There may not be much looking for source info on the original support libs as many of those files may not be needed.  The libs that it requires are already in existing extensions unless there is more I don't know of.  They are already covered as to their documentation and source requirements so you may want to try that approach before looking up on the previous libs.  Hope this can help save some time.
JW

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:39 AM »
Whoa :o

a separate libc, esd, math lib? NSS & PAM? Users, please do not use this, it has the potential to seriously mess up a system. Only till a reboot with TC, but still.

jpeters, please do strip it down to only needed things ;)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
Besides the alsa lib that may or may not be necessary and the X libs, it looks like fontconfig and expat are the only other libs needed. 

I agree with Curaga, the support extension needs to be trimmed down to what is needed.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 11:57:35 AM »
Whoa :o

a separate libc, esd, math lib? NSS & PAM? Users, please do not use this, it has the potential to seriously mess up a system. Only till a reboot with TC, but still.

jpeters, please do strip it down to only needed things ;)

I'll submit documentation for the libX files, and hopefully that will be sufficient. Sorry to scare you with the dependencies.  (never posed any problem for me......)

Edit: The requirements seem to keep changing as they post new additions. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:19:07 PM by jpeters »