WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Using "OnDemand" to prevent Opera from hogging cpu  (Read 5235 times)

Offline OldAdamUser2

Using "OnDemand" to prevent Opera from hogging cpu
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:50:40 AM »
In striving to maintain a light-weight, efficient OS, I use opera.tcz (Opera 9.64). This is a small, fast web browser but it has one flaw: sometimes web pages contain embedded flash video (usually advertisements) which can send cpu utilization sky-rocketing into the 90-100% range--often for quite extended periods.

This is where Tiny Core's brilliant "OnDemand" feature comes into play. A right-click on an empty portion of the desktop brings up TC's hotkey menu. Scroll down to "Tools" and then select "Appsaudit." Click "OnBoot" at the top right and then select "Maintenance." In the right panel you will see the various items that are loaded at boot time. If you click on flash10.tcz and getFlash10.tcz, you will remove them from the list in "onboot.lst". (You can also edit that file directly with a text editor if you prefer. It is located in your tce directory.) The next time you reboot Tiny Core, flash video will not be enabled.

Here is where "OnDemand" enters the picture. Since you will sometimes wish to play flash videos, you should now open an Aterm window (i.e., a terminal window) and type in "ondemand" (without the quotes) followed by hitting <Enter>. This runs a script that allows you to add flash10.tcz and getFlash.tcz to the "OnDemand" menu. Do so.

In the future when you wish to play a youtube video or some other flash video, just close the Opera browser, right-click to bring up the hotkey menu and use the "OnDemand" menu to enable flash10 and getFlash. Restart Opera and enjoy the show.

Bingo. You can have ondemand access to flash video without allowing Opera's operapluginwrap to turn your computer into a sluggish, overheating zombie.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Using "OnDemand" to prevent Opera from hogging cpu
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »
There's flashblock for Opera, disabling all flash until you click on it:
http://my.opera.com/Lex1/blog/flashblock-for-opera-9
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
I like http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/45343 more, cause lets u block and unblock dynamicaally.
I use it with midori which is also a fast browser dispite the massive deps, dunno if it works also with opera.
dCore user

Offline thane

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Flash is the only plug-in I use with Opera, so I enable/disable plug-ins in Tools/Quick Preferences as needed.

Offline OldAdamUser2

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:01:22 PM »
Flash is the only plug-in I use with Opera, so I enable/disable plug-ins in Tools/Quick Preferences as needed.
Thanks, thane. That solution might be even more efficient!