WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Minefield segfaults on YouTube (and other Flash-serving sites) [SOLVED]  (Read 2933 times)

Offline philip

The subject line says almost everything. I have TC 2.10 running on my Acer Aspire One netbook, with flash10.tcz loaded, Mplayer-nodeps in position, and the GTK2 mixer for OSS ready to go. Minefield works well on many sites (including the one where I'm typing this note!). It can even get to www.youtube.com and show the first page. But when I click on a video link, minefield segfaults and quits. In truth I don't care much about YouTube: it's here as a standard test case. Experience suggests that several sites that have Flash content will crash the browser in the same way.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I removed all the minefield files from my /tce/optional directory (there were no such files in the parent, /tce) and from /usr/local/tce.installed. Then I re-installed from the repo. The problem persists.

This is a comparatively recent upgrade from TC 2.9. I hope I didn't miss some essential adjustment.

... any suggestions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:50:54 AM by philip »

Offline 4-stroke

Re: Minefield segfaults on YouTube (and other Flash-serving sites)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »
Is there a specific reason why you need to use minefield?
Try namoroka, it works, for me at least, on youtube.
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams

Offline philip

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 08:52:40 AM »
Is there a specific reason why you need to use minefield?
Nothing particular, except that I chose it long ago and it worked until recently.

Try namoroka, it works, for me at least, on youtube.
Thanks for the tip. Namoroka works for me, too.

This little exchange puts the spotlight on minefield as the most likely point of failure in my previous setup described above. Minefield users/maintainers, please notice this!

Offline jls

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:24:56 AM »
are u shure u loaded all the flash required deps?
dCore user

Offline philip

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:46:29 PM »
are u shure u loaded all the flash required deps?
I'm seldom "sure" about anything. But I note that all flash functions work with Namoroka, so it is very likely that all dependencies are in order. Also, I thought TC 2.10 was built to take care of dependencies more automatically than any previous release, and I certainly ran both "Update Apps" and "Apps Audit" from the Control Panel many times each before making my original post.

Offline jls

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 03:11:24 AM »
flash10.tcz is created without flash.tcz.dep, so u should copy all the deps of getFlash.tcz excluding squashfs in flash10.tcz.dep
dCore user

Offline philip

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
Thanks, JLS, this fixed it. I went into /mnt/sda1/tce/optional, copied getFlash10.tcz.dep into a new file flash10.tcz.dep, and deleted the line about squashfs. After that I tried the various apps-audit and updating pushbuttons on the control panel and rebooted. Now everything works. Mark this one "Solved"!