Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

Chromium downloaded files not fully integrated with OS/Filesystem

(1/2) > >>

baz:
Hello,

When you download a file using google chrome, a representation of it appears in the bottom status bar. Normally you would be able to click on it to launch the file, or use the arrow to "Show in Folder". On TC, those don't work, and I'm coming to realize how important those features are to normal workflow. Is there a fix or workaround I could implement? One thing to note is that you can drag and drop the files, like for example if you downloaded a movie you could drag that into vlc - so there is some sort of integration.

Cheers,
Baz

althalus:
Probably needs XDG set up, if you don't have it already. And if you work it out, please share your experiences with the rest of us! :P

baz:
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm willing to give it a go. Would you mind telling me a bit more about XDG, and what to start looking into?

althalus:
Slow day at work, and your question got me curious again myself. I tried a while ago and could never work it out.

I think the xdg-utils extension is broken.
1. If you're not using gnome or KDE, xdg-mime EXPECTS to find the `file`command in /usr/bin - Which means file.tcz should probably be a dep, and it's not in /usr/bin anyway.

2. xdg-open is a bit limited. if you aren't running gnome/kde/xfce, it tries to open your file in the first browser it finds (of the selection firefox, mozilla, netscape), rather than whatever you've told xdg-mime you want to use.

So a "Wow, this really doesn't work the way I want it to" solution if you aren't using XFCE, Gnome, or KDE goes something like this (You probably just want to skip down to the alternative below):
1. install xdg-utils.tcz
2. install file.tcz
3. install firefox.tcz
4. cd /usr/bin; sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/file
5. Download something in chrome, click on it, and it will open in firefox! (hahaha fail)

Alternatively, untested:
doesn't work the way I want it to" solution goes something like this:
1. install xdg-utils.tcz
2. install file.tcz
3. install xfce.tcz
4. cd /usr/bin; sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/file
5. xdg-mime default <application> <mimetype> (ie xdg-mime default evince application/pdf) (xfce might even provide it's own defaults if you're lucky)
6. Download a PDF in chrome, and click on it.

baz:
Ok, glad you looked into as all that is way beyond my skill set :)

I use XFCE by the way and its the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version