WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Network printer setup problem  (Read 2117 times)

Offline stevesr0

Network printer setup problem
« on: March 14, 2010, 07:25:17 PM »
I am trying to setup a Brother MFC7345N printer.  I followed a guide for doing so (at [removed due to policy violation]/index.html), but this didn't work.

I have successfully set this same printer up with Puppy Linux and with Knoppix 6.2.1.  The install process involves downloading two files (one for LPR and one for "cupswrapper") for a similar printer (the MFC7440N).  I used the two .deb files for both the Puppy and the Knoppix installs.  I got one error, because the folder that was to hold the ppd file was not automatically created; however, after manually creating this (/usr/share/cups/model), the install finished without problems.

Then, I followed the instructions on the Brother site to use an lpr printer setup.

When I compare the folders installed on Knoppix with the Tiny Core install, there were many more subfolders and files in the Knoppix install.  The guide I found (listed above), suggested extracting the .deb files in a debian linux and then taking the resulting files and directories over to TCL in the root directory and allowing merging as queried.

I did this, but I had two separate sets - one each from the lpr and cups .deb files and I stopped after copying the first set rather than overwriting the first set with the second one.

Has anyone else installed a similar Brother printer.  I am not sure that there are any drivers other than the .debs and .rpm files on the Brother site.

Appreciate any advice.

Steve

Offline stevesr0

Re: Network printer setup problem
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »
I can use this printer as long as another computer makes it available as a share over teh network.

HOWEVER, not all applications can print to this computer.

I can print from Firefox and geany, and see a print preview.

From leafpad, I can print but get an error (can't find evince).

With beaver2, I get the evince error and print produces a fancy frame with no text in it.

With Abiword, I was getting print preview, but the same fancy frame with no text, until I installed gnumeric and some other word processors and text editors.  Since then, it  no longer detects a printer at all and closes immediately if I attempt a print preview.

With gnumeric, I get a print preview but it is empty of data and no printer is offered in the print dialog box.

Appreciate any comments.

Steve

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
From your previous post, you could always try installing envince :P

Offline alu

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »
did you look for a ppd file?
did you try to print at the command line: