Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

partitioning windows for tc

<< < (2/2)

gutmensch:
I think it has to be a little bit invasive... because booting the system, pointing to a file in windows space, etc. really needs some "magic" ;-) But I'm not qualified enough to explain any special details about wubi. Either way I would always recommend to make a backup of your windows (it can crash unrecoverable even without any wubi or tc) and dedicate one real partition to your linux - it's the most stable approach when you want to have both, without mixing them up.

Guy:
You should be able to use Windows to reduce the size of the existing partition.

Then use Parted Magic to create an Ext3 partition and a Swap partition in the free space.

P5music:
thanks guy
this is what I was looking for
but I need some more advice
please can you suggest what I have to do to reduce windows XP partition?

Guy:
With Windows Vista you can reduce the size of the partition. Windows XP may not have that option.

Whatever you do, save a copy of all files you want to keep before starting.

Do you have the CDs for Windows XP and all of the other programs you have installed?

If you have all the original programs, you could:

Use Parted Magic to set up partitions as you want them. An NTFS partition for Windows, and an Ext3 and swap partition for Tiny Core. (You could even create additional Ext3 or Ext4 partitions and install other Linux distros.)

Reinstall Windows.

Install Tiny Core.

If you have the other programs but not Office, you could download Open Office.

If you don't have the CDs for Windows and all of the other programs you have installed.

While running Windows XP, run Defragment. Note how much free space at the end of the partition.

Use Parted Magic to reduce the size of the partition.

Create an Ext3 partition and a swap partition in the free space.

Install Tiny Core.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version