Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

mounting xfs and not using ram for FS

(1/2) > >>

Fireandspike:
Hi, I'm just trying out tiny core for the first time. My reason for doing so is that I need to use 1975 MB of ram for a java operation i need to perform on a data set and my pc only has 2074mb of ram. Doing this operation in my normal ubuntu distro causes the system to run out of memory due to ubuntus bloat.

I'm having two issues the prevent me from getting the job done.

Firstly I can not mount my xfs file-system partition where my data set is. I have 2 hdds. hd1 with 1 xfs partition that I'm trying to mount and hd2 with 3 partitions, the 3rd one is where tiny core resides which is ext3. When I try to mount hda1 in XFE file manager it says no such device (even though it lists all the partitions correctly from both drives), Does tinycore support xfs? I tried mounting from the console to a folder and it didn't complain but the mounted folder is just empty.

Secondly it seems that it is creating a ram drive or something for all my file system on each boot, although I have persistence from installing things because of the auto mount from tce. I really need one persistent file-system to reside on my boot partition (just like a full ubuntu install) instead of it being recreated on each boot in ram; and apps should be installed to the usual lib, bin etc folders in that file-system instead of being mounted from the tce directory. How would I go about doing this, I could not see this option on the concepts page of the website.

Thanks in advance

Jason W:
xfs is handled by the filesystems-2.6.29.1-tinycore extension.

Fireandspike:
blimy thats a quick reply, now that's what I call service!

Just installed it and  xfs now mounts, thankyou.

Now if only I could make the file system live on the hard drive instead of ram.

Jason W:
That would mean a traditional hard drive install, which is not really recommended though it is possible.

Fireandspike:
How do I force the FS to live on the harddrive. I did the steps outlined in tinycorelinux.com/install.html but the filesystem in nowhere to be found on the partition, its still in ram.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version