WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Beware: ISOs + Core Elements (Release 2.8 Only)  (Read 3598 times)

Offline vitex

Beware: ISOs + Core Elements (Release 2.8 Only)
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »
I tried remastering Micro Core 2.8 using the recommended boot stanza 

Code: [Select]
label tinycore
   kernel /boot/bzImage
   append initrd=/boot/microcore.gz,/boot/Xprogs.core.gz,/boot/Xlibs.core.gz,/boot/Xvesa.core.gz ...

but received the following message from the isolinux boot loader:

Could not find ramdisk image: /boot/Xprogs.core.gz

After some investigation, I found that isolinux only supports "plain" ISO9660 file names.  In particular, it does not support file names with two "." characters such as Xprogs.core.gz.  The file that I saved as /boot/Xprogs.core.gz appears to be /boot/Xprogs_core.gz to the ISO9660 file system code in isolinux.

RobertS will change the naming conventions for core elements in release 2.9 to avoid this problem.  For 2.8, you can work around the problem by changing the way you refer to core elements in your isolinux configuration file.  Use a boot stanza of the form

label tinycore
   kernel /boot/bzImage
   append initrd=/boot/microcore.gz,/boot/Xprogs_core.gz,/boot/Xlibs_core.gz,/boot/Xvesa_core.gz ...

In summary, it is okay to save your core elements in /boot using *.core.gz names, just use the corresponding *_core.gz name the isolinux boot stanza. 

This is not a problem for the boot loaders that TC / MC use for other storage devices.