WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: suggestion for a note in the install instruction about grub & part. type 0x82  (Read 2271 times)

Offline beetle

Hi, I just managed to install Tinycore with success.

I'd like to share the issue I encountered:

In step #3, I used cfdisk as described. I turns out the that the generated partition type is 0x82.

In step #6, grub complained that it does not recognized the partition and failed.

I was a bit confused and repeated several steps several times. I finally succeeded when I forced the partition type to 0x83 in step #3.

Hence, I suggest you add a note about this so the installation of the fabulous tinycore is painless for more & more people in the future...  :)

How about that?

-Daniel
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:29:43 PM by beetle »

Offline gutmensch

• Retired Admins
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Personally I don't see the need for cfdisk at all, fdisk does everything you need with a few commands and presses of "return" and is IMHO even clearer (concerning for example partition types).

However cfdisk shouldn't create a partition with the 0x82 linux swap type - are you sure that it wasn't that type already before?

One could also add to use the grub command "find /boot/bzImage" which will tell the user the right partition to use (e.g. (hd0,0)), I think that would be easier for most of the users and additionally avoids using wrong partitions...
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline beetle

I confirm that using Cfdisk 2.14.1 (the one that is installed by tinycore) does create a default partition type 0x82 in my environment.

I work on a virtual disk... should it matter? ..since its not partitioned or formatted at all when I begin with...

--

fdisk vs cfdisk is a matter of taste. A note about type 0x82 would've done it for me

Offline gutmensch

• Retired Admins
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Seems that cfdisk 2.16.2 has the same behaviour and makes 0x82 the first choice, when you don't change anything yourself. I would consider this a bug since fdisk always uses the right type 0x83.

Btw. fdisk vs. cfdisk is a matter of taste but at least fdisk shows you right away the partition type id. How could any of the cfdisk programmers think, that you don't need to see the partition type id, when you partition a hard drive?! Real nonsense. One bad example for turning a good command line tool like fdisk into a more "shiny", useless and worse tool.

IMHO "sfdisk" is the next step when you come from fdisk, because it's scriptable and easy to use. :)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)