WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New installation on wireless computer  (Read 1732 times)

Offline dln9

New installation on wireless computer
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:36:37 PM »
I just ran across TCL, it looks very interesting, so I installed it per the wiki instructions.  It seems to be working just fine - except for one problem. 

My computer's only access to the internet is via a wireless connection.  It appears that the initial installation of TCL does not include software to support wireless connections.  So, I figure I have to download the files needed for wicd on a different computer, burn them to a CD, load that CD into the TCL computer, and copy the files to the tce/optional folder. 

Here's the problem:  How on earth do I obtain the package that includes all the dependencies?  I found the files for the wicd program.  But, the list of dependencies includes about 30 other programs, and only the Almighty knows how many dependencies each of those has, and so forth. 

So, if one is installing TCL on a computer that currently has no wireless connection working, how does one download the initial package for something like wicd just to get started? 

This is so confusing to me. 

Thanks for any help. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: New installation on wireless computer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »
Hi,

currently dependency resolution is no recursive in TC/MC. It means, that a .dep list contains all dependencies required. wicd.tcz.dep lists what you need to get it up and running, no hidden dependencies.

I guess your PC has USB. If so, you can install TC on USB stick on the other computer and copy all needed extensions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:06:00 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline alu

Re: New installation on wireless computer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 01:57:41 AM »
or alternatively: first download from another computer the following two extension:

wireless-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz
wireless_tools.tcz

optional: if you have a wpa encryption, add the two following extension:

openssl-0.9.8h.tcz
wpa_supplicant.tcz

install those extensions and test if your dongle will be recognized with (at the command line):

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

and then

iwconfig

you should see your wlan0 device there; if you have a WEP encryption or an open network, just issue at the command line:

sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid YOURESSID key YOURKEY
sudo udhcpc -i wlan0

test the connection with ping:

sudo ping www.google.de

for wpa encryption, look for the corresponding threads in this forum. Once connected, install the needed extensions such as wicd.