WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Instalation from USB  (Read 4425 times)

Offline bartez82

Instalation from USB
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:55 AM »
Hi.I would like to install TinyCore in flash memory on this TERMINAL HP COMPAQ T5500 Thin Client.I can`t install from boot CD so i needs install this from Pendrive.Flash is 32MB,I think it's enough.Anyone knows how to do this?.
Sorry for my english :(

Offline Guy

Re: Instalation from USB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »
I am not familiar with the particular model. I assume it will boot from a USB drive.

Begin by installing Tiny Core on a USB drive using another computer. To do this, run Tiny Core from the CD on the other computer. Connect to the internet. Install dosfstools and syslinux. Run USB Installation from the menu (right click). Use the Ext option.

Run Tiny Core from the USB drive. Connect to the internet. Install programs you want on the USB drive.

You can then connect the USB drive to the other computer and run Tiny Core from the USB drive.

You may continue to run Tiny Core from the USB drive, or

If you install the correct extensions on the USB drive, you can use it to install Tiny Core on a computer.

Option 1. If you install dosfstools and syslinux on the USB drive, you can use USB installation to install Tiny Core on the computer.

Option 2. You can install a partitioning program such as cfdisk or gparted to create an Ext3 partition. Also install Grub, and use it to set up the Grub bootloader.

If you use option 2, use the installation methods on these pages, and modify as appropriate.
http://www.tinycorelinux.com/install.html
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Installing+TC+-+Alternate+Offline+Guide
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:44:07 PM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline bartez82

Re: Instalation from USBwhen something installs
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:40:16 AM »
Hi
I have this done,but every time when I install something after reboot I need to install it again (eg.Opera)  how can I save this?And I would like to connect to TinyCore from Windows XP by Total Commander but I can`t  :(
THX @Guy:)

Offline Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 03:25:47 AM »
every time when I install something after reboot I need to install it again (eg.Opera)  how can I save this?

It is not clear what you have done.

After installing Tiny Core, did you connect to the internet and install programs?

If you downloaded extensions manually, you need the .dep file and dependencies.

If you are running version 2.8.1, they go in the /tce/optional directory.

You may need to open the control panel, click Apps Audit -> OnBoot -> Maintenance. On the left, click on any programs you want to be loaded when you start the computer.

Still in the control panel, click OnDemand, and type the numbers of each program you do not want loaded when you start the computer, but be available from the on demand menu.

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Installing+Applications

Offline Guy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 03:30:26 AM »
I would like to connect to TinyCore from Windows XP by Total Commander but I can`t

You need the plugin for Ext2 and Ext3 filesystems.

There are also other programs which can be installed in Windows to access Linux filesystems.

Offline bartez82

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »
every time when I install something after reboot I need to install it again (eg.Opera)  how can I save this?

It is not clear what you have done.

After installing Tiny Core, did you connect to the internet and install programs?

If you downloaded extensions manually, you need the .dep file and dependencies.

You may need to open the control panel, click Apps Audit -> OnBoot -> Maintenance. On the left, click on any programs you want to be loaded when you start the computer.

Still in the control panel, click OnDemand, and type the numbers of each program you do not want loaded when you start the computer, but be available from the on demand menu.

I meant that I have install linux in flash:)
Yes,after installing TinyCore in flash I install "vsftpd" and "beavar2" and after reboot them gone ???
When I try to connect with TinyCore via Totalcommander ask me for User name.I put root but is wrong :( Maybe someone knows what is the user name or how set vsftpd.conf?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »

I meant that I have install linux in flash:)
Yes,after installing TinyCore in flash I install "vsftpd" and "beavar2" and after reboot them gone ???

Create a directory tce in the root of the flash after next boot downloaded extensions and related files will be stored on the USB stick in the /tce directory so they will be available permanently.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bartez82

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »
every time when I install something after reboot I need to install it again (eg.Opera)  how can I save this?

Yes I`m running tinycore 2.8.1.I do everything just as you write but after reboot I have to install it all programs again.What  I do wrong?I need install only ftp server to conect from another computer.

Offline maro

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 01:47:43 PM »
To help you further you will have to provide some more details. Here are a few commands to get the ball rolling. Please post the results in this thread:
Code: [Select]
cat /opt/.tce_dir
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/mtab

Offline bartez82

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:38 PM »
To help you further you will have to provide some more details. Here are a few commands to get the ball rolling. Please post the results in this thread:
cat /opt/.tce_dir
cat /etc/fstab
cat /etc/mtab
This is me results:

login as: root
root@192.168.1.2's password:
 (°-
 //\  Tiny Core is distributed with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 v_/_           www.tinycorelinux.com
tc@box:~$ su
Password:
root@box:~# cat /opt/.tce_dir
/tmp/tce
root@box:~# cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab
proc            /proc        proc    defaults          0       0
sysfs           /sys         sysfs   defaults          0       0
devpts          /dev/pts     devpts  defaults          0       0
tmpfs           /dev/shm     tmpfs   defaults          0       0
/dev/hda1       /mnt/hda1       ext2     noauto,users,exec,relatime 0 0 # Added by TC
root@box:~# cat /etc/mtab
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
tmpfs / tmpfs rw,size=98256k 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/loop0 /tmp/tcloop/atk squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop1 /tmp/tcloop/cairo squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop2 /tmp/tcloop/pango squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop3 /tmp/tcloop/glib2 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop4 /tmp/tcloop/fontconfig squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop5 /tmp/tcloop/expat2 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop6 /tmp/tcloop/libxml2 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop7 /tmp/tcloop/graphics-libs-1 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop8 /tmp/tcloop/pixman squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop9 /tmp/tcloop/gtk2 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop10 /tmp/tcloop/Xlibs_support squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop11 /tmp/tcloop/beaver2 squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop12 /tmp/tcloop/bftpd squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop13 /tmp/tcloop/openssl-0.9.8h squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop14 /tmp/tcloop/gcc_libs squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop15 /tmp/tcloop/openssh squashfs ro 0 0
/dev/loop16 /tmp/tcloop/vsftpd squashfs ro 0 0
root@box:~#

Offline maro

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:03 PM »
Thanks for for your answers, I guess that shows something:

(1) The fact that '/opt/.tce_dir' is still on the original value of '/tmp/tce' confirms that you are still operating in "cloud mode". No real surprise, since you keep on "loosing" the extensions you attempt to install.

(2) The fact that '/dev/hda1' shows up as an ext2 filesystem in '/etc/fstab' indicates that the USB drive is been detected but not mounted.

If you want to confirm that '/dev/hda1' is you USB drive you could use:
blkid /dev/hda*
fdisk -l

My hunch is that you have either not used the 'waitusb' boot parameter or the value you've used is too small, so try again e.g. with 'waitusb=15' as boot parameter.

When TC boots it searches for disks and uses the first 'tce' directory in the root of the found disks for persistence (and stores that information in '/opt/.tce_dir').

BTW, does your USB drive already contain a 'tce' directory (check with: "mount /dev/hda1 ; ls -l /mnt/hda1")

Offline bartez82

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Thanks for for your answers, I guess that shows something:

(1) The fact that '/opt/.tce_dir' is still on the original value of '/tmp/tce' confirms that you are still operating in "cloud mode". No real surprise, since you keep on "loosing" the extensions you attempt to install.

(2) The fact that '/dev/hda1' shows up as an ext2 filesystem in '/etc/fstab' indicates that the USB drive is been detected but not mounted.

If you want to confirm that '/dev/hda1' is you USB drive you could use:
blkid /dev/hda*
fdisk -l

My hunch is that you have either not used the 'waitusb' boot parameter or the value you've used is too small, so try again e.g. with 'waitusb=15' as boot parameter.

When TC boots it searches for disks and uses the first 'tce' directory in the root of the found disks for persistence (and stores that information in '/opt/.tce_dir').

BTW, does your USB drive already contain a 'tce' directory (check with: "mount /dev/hda1 ; ls -l /mnt/hda1")
Sorry man but I have install the system in flash 32mb,not on USB stick.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:26 PM »
You may still need the waitusb option, as some flash drives are slow to mount.
This option is not only for USB drives.
I have a 128M CF that requires it.