Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

On SSD drives is there a way to have fstab use noatime?

(1/4) > >>

OldAdamUser2:
On SSD drives is there a way to have fstab use noatime? And would it be desirable to do so? I've read that it is better to mount SSD drives in this way in order to reduce writing to drives and extend their lives. On the other hand, TC (by loading into ram) may already achieve most of that.

gerald_clark:
How does one determine it is an SSD?

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: gerald_clark on February 02, 2010, 03:32:16 PM ---How does one determine it is an SSD?

--- End quote ---

Guess user nows (not always) what he has.

OldAdamUser2:
Of course, I do know what kind of drives I have on my Eee 900, but I think it's also true that "df -h" will indicate the drive type. SD drives of one type or another will show up as sda, sdb, etc. Hard drives are listed as hda, hdb, etc. Or am I wrong about that?

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: OldAdamUser2 on February 02, 2010, 05:51:41 PM ---Of course, I do know what kind of drives I have on my Eee 900, but I think it's also true that "df -h" will indicate the drive type. SD drives of one type or another will show up as sda, sdb, etc. Hard drives are listed as hda, hdb, etc. Or am I wrong about that?

--- End quote ---

hdx indicates IDE drives, while sdx either SCSI, SATA drives or USB sticks. Have no experience but guess SSD depends on the interface type not the drive technology. BTW you can have a CompactFlash drive connected with IDE interface for example just a simple passive adapter or cable required.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version