Off-Topic > Off-Topic - Tiny Tux's Corner

Which is commercially most successful Linux Distro ?

(1/2) > >>

Pats:
With the ever increasing Linux Jungle, it will be interesting to know - which Linux Distro is more successful commercially ( businesswise ) ?
RH , Debian or .. ?
~ Pats

bmarkus:
What do you mean commercially ? Distro sold as a commercial product, a distro sold in bundle with services ot simply a distro used in highest number?

Anyhow, please read this article:

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100125#feature

Pats:
- What do you mean commercially ? -
I mean 'Distro sold as a commercial product' .

By the way, thanks for the DistroWatch link to 25Jan2010 issue.
Sections abt Hymera, Ubunt and Lubuntu are interesting.
Also write-up abt Tiny Core Linux 2.8 is mentioned here.

But the more interesting reading for me in this issue is abt OpenBSD:
' "The insecurity of OpenBSD", a blogger raises some doubts and highlights some of the possible problems with OpenBSD: "An argument often made by proponents of OpenBSD is the extensive code auditing performed on the base system to make sure no vulnerabilities are present. '
It is worth reading in original here:
http://allthatiswrong.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/the-insecurity-of-openbsd/

One more thing to notice why TCL's new releases are not mentioned in the section :
'Upcoming Releases and Announcements' on DistroWatch ?

Thanks !
~ Pats

bmarkus:

--- Quote ---I mean 'Distro sold as a commercial product' .
--- End quote ---

I would say REDHAT. It is used in the corporate arena, supported by system integrators and service providers like IBM, etc.

--- Quote ---One more thing to notice why TCL's new releases are not mentioned in the section :
'Upcoming Releases and Announcements' on DistroWatch ?
--- End quote ---

Most probably because there are no official announced release date. And possible due to much shorter relese cycle than usual.

Pats:
Is there any way to know which Linux Distro sell how much copies of its OS commercially - I mean any site or Official Govrning Body or a linux enthusiast who may be doing this kind of tracking ?
Or one has to believe the OS vendors BS/Ac figures ?
~ Pats

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version