WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: OSS.tczm  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Kingdomcome

OSS.tczm
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:16:54 PM »
FWIW, after loading OSS.tczm, I did not see the 2 plugins for flash support that are in the .tcem.  Only one file in /usr/lib/oss/lib/: flashsupport.c

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: OSS.tczm
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »
I'm getting a lot of freeze-ups with OSS for some reason...I haven't figured out yet what the conflict is. Typically, the sound suddenly doesn't work, either in xmms or skype (which is all I use it for), and then the computer freezes if  I try anything else. Today it froze after typing in "ossmix" after noticing no sound using skype. Other times, it's trying to use xmms.  If I reboot, everything works fine again for a while. 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 10:42:04 AM »
So tc-mixer was not at fault?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:51:46 AM »
So tc-mixer was not at fault?

Initially that seemed to be the culprit..but I've since experienced
numerous freezeups without it as well. 

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 03:25:16 PM »
I  found a conflict after using "echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state" to suspend. This really seems to throw a wrench into the sound modules.  For example, /dev/dsp existed but couldn't be found when loading xmms.  My microphone was actually working at one point even though OSS sound was off. although generally if OSS isn't working properly, it's off.  Right now, I'm deleting /dev/dsp and turning OSS sound off when suspending. It's interesting, though, that turning the sound back on (which loads a new /dev/dsp isn't sufficient. I have to first turn the sound off again before turning it on for things to work.  I'm hoping this solves the freeze issue.   

Edit: What seems to be working:   
    1.  add "sudo soundoff" and "sudo rm dev/dsp" to suspend script
    2.  script to turn on sound after suspend:
                   sudo soundon
                   sudo soundoff
                   sudo soundon

Edit 2:  Found it's also necessary to kill xmms before suspending (or soundoff won't work, and computer will continue to freeze).  I added "killall xmms" to suspend script for this. (note...or just make sure it's turned off before suspending). 

I added a button on the tray to run this.  I'm not sure why OSS needs to be toggled to work, but that seems to be the case after a suspend on this machine. OSS seems to take over other drivers, for example native drivers for the onboard microphone jack that otherwise would work independently of OSS.  Once OSS is working, the microphone is controlled by ossmix and can be turned off (otherwise it's on).  Hopefully this will resolve freezes....   

curaga.... I think  I still have tc-mixer somewhere and will see if this was the issue around the freezing if you like....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:55:01 AM by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:23:12 AM »
Curaga,

I think the (tc-mixer)freeze had to do with it preventing the OSS sound module from being turned off until it's disabled. If I go into suspend mode with tc-mixer loaded, the computer will freeze later on, say by typing "osmix" into aterm....even if nothing else was loaded. Maybe someone else can test with suspend on other computers.    One other thing I noticed.....the drop down slider isn't always on top.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 12:42:38 AM by jpeters »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 09:05:39 AM »
OK.

It's actually a known thing that OSS modules don't like suspend; it was something about out-of-tree modules having a hard time following the changing suspend logic.

Re always-on-top and not being in tray after a Jwm restart - yeah I know :)
I don't have time right now to find a way to fix either though. This and the next month are really busy for me; May and June I have almost free. If anyone would find a solution in between, I'd gladly accept a patch *wink*
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 10:26:06 AM »
OK.
If anyone would find a solution in between, I'd gladly accept a patch *wink*

Last time I did  something arduous like that, I had to check off the on top property after drop/dragging the slider applet to my program window.  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:27:37 AM by jpeters »