WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] VFAT file system mounting gives inconsistent results  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: [SOLVED] VFAT file system mounting gives inconsistent results
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
jur,

On TC, fstab is created so you can simply issue a "mount /dev/sda2" instead of having to give a full command.  And you admitted that using that simple command that TC has set up the details for you worked. And it works with TC's file manager extensions that no doubt use fstab to mount the drive with.

So why are you accusing Robert and TC of not understanding the need for data access even though we warn of the potential pitfalls of using a Windows filesystem for Linux?  Fat/vfat will work for things like storing pictures, but for other files that Linux/Unix apps work with it is much better to use a FS that supports Linux/Unix attributes to avoid many potential issues.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:44 PM »
jur,

I am not talking about data access, but rather hosting of operating system files.

Bite the hand that feeds you, another example of the thankless. Your welcome for Tiny Core!
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jur

• cycling photo essays
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
jur,

I am not talking about data access, but rather hosting of operating system files.

Bite the hand that feeds you, another example of the thankless. Your welcome for Tiny Core!
Look it's you that came up with the silly 'absolutely amazing' remark, can't you take on the chin what you dish out?

I am talking about data access - email, remember? Not hosting system files - that was never the issue, read back over this thread. And remember it's marked [SOLVED].

Offline MakodFilu

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
1- If the thread is solved, then maybe it should be closed as well.
2- Those claiming for exFat support better be ready to pay Microsoft for such license or reverse-engineer it themselves.
3- Point 2 illustrates the cost of 'data access' and for stablishing the hidden costs for the industry of adopting all too happily FAT as default interchange filesystem.
4- http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the link, MakodFilu
That together with my previous link
http://www.osnews.com/story/9681/The_vfat_file_system_and_Linux/page1/
will bring to light the issues with trying to use vfat with Linux and a work around.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
I used this driver years ago to share between a Linux and Windows installation on a particular PC with no issue.:

http://www.fs-driver.org/

It is much less hassle to support ext2 data sharing  through Windows<->Linux with this kind of driver than to try to support vfat/FAT partitions for data used by Linux apps.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »
I can confirm that - I've been using the same driver daily for a couple of years to share data between windows and tc on an ext2 usb stick