General TC > Tiny Core on Virtual Machines

Virtual or Real

(1/7) > >>

K_evin:

Should TC better be installed within a virtual computer or on a hardware partition, if I want to try TC as second system on a modern PC with 1 GB RAM.

And which free virtual computer software is regarded to be the best.

bmarkus:
Personally  I vote for real. By default it is safe, as your NTFS partitions (guess you have WINDOWS installed) left intact and risk to demage your existing installation is very low. If you have a modern system it boots from USB. So just grab an USB stick and start playing.

Less work, more joy :)

But if yo want virtual, start with www.virtualbox.org

K_evin:

--- Quote from: bmarkus on January 02, 2010, 03:35:25 AM ---... USB stick ... Less work, more joy :)

--- End quote ---

Really?

But could I use both systems in paralel? or at least switch between two stand by versions? - I fear, each switch would mean new booting what makes comparison so uncomfortable that you stop comparing soon.

I once created a Windows Rescue Boot CD. It was great  I use it till today. But for me as non-expert it took damm lot time till that creation was working the way I wanted it.

I don't have the time now to do a similar adventure with an usb medium I'm not accustomed to.

So my plan was, first getting to know TC in the most fast and easy conventional way either by installing TC on a partition or as guest system of a virtual computer.

If I got you right you would prefer a virtual computer to a partition install.

Guy:
I would use Windows to reduce the size of the partition. Then create an Ext3 partition, and a swap partition, in the free space for Tiny Core and install it.

Then set up the Grub bootloader for both.

That's my opinion. You do whatever you are happy with.

K_evin:

--- Quote from: Guy on January 02, 2010, 08:46:32 AM ---I would use Windows to reduce the size of the partition. Then create an Ext3 partition, and a swap partition, in the free space for Tiny Core and install it.

Then set up the Grub bootloader for both.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your detailed answer.

So supposed I would succeed

* to aquire the expertise to change an existing partition
* to learn what's a swap partition
* to learn to set up a bootloader
What would be the advantage of using your solution compared to a virtual computer?

Maybe your solution would be a little bit faster - would that really make a big difference on modern hardware?

On the other hand using a virtual computer probably I can use both systems at the same time, whereas using partitions it seems impossible to exchange data between two running systems - only one system can be running at the same time.

So where do you see the advantage of installing TC on a partition instead as guest system of a virtual computer?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version