Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Xvesa: Default Display Blanking Timeout

(1/3) > >>

Tahoe:
Happy New Years Folks,

Running the latest 2.7 on a laptop and looking for where the (ten min.) default screen blanking info's kept. I've searched and read through a few threads, notably this vbetool topic http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1591.0 I'd be happy to alter the stock setup which I gather is possible, or learn vbetool's use. I'd prefer to stay with Xvesa and would like to know if the *suspend* package is essential for working with vbetool, thanks.

Juanito:
The suspend extension was originally used with vbetool to provide a couple of dependencies - these dependencies (libx86, libpci) have been moved to separate extensions, so the suspend extension should not be needed now.

curaga:
The xset utility may be used to change the timeouts. "xset q" to see the current ones.

Tahoe:
OK, I've got the deps Jaunito listed along with an 845g chipset, 915resolution invoked from bootlocal.sh. For testing purposes I've tried:

xset dpms 0 0 60

... which results in a "server does not have extension for dpms option" before following up with usage. Perhaps my syntax?

xset q results in:

--- Code: ---Keyboard Control:
  auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
  auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                        fadfffffffedffff
                        ffffffffffffffff
                        ffffffffffffff7f
  bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
  acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
  prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
  timeout:  600    cycle:  600
Colors:
  default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0    WhitePixel:  16777215
Font Path:
  /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/
Bug Mode: compatibility mode is disabled
DPMS (Energy Star):
  Server does not have the DPMS Extension
Font cache:
  Server does not have the FontCache Extension
--- End code ---

I'll note the 915res is somewhat sluggish compared to video without and doubt it's doing me much good either. Hopefully you guys can help me achieve nirvana without much ado, thanks again.

PS - Is there a file holding that 600 timeout value or is it generated by an extension?

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Tahoe on January 02, 2010, 06:27:21 AM ---xset dpms 0 0 60

... which results in a "server does not have extension for dpms option" before following up with usage. Perhaps my syntax?

--- End quote ---

..maybe the syntax is wrong, but I would guess you need the full "X" from the Xorg extension for the dpms option to be enabled? On the bright side, this would mean you wouldn't need 915resolution  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version