WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Sea Monkey Browser  (Read 5278 times)

Offline thvinothan

Sea Monkey Browser
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
The Sea monkey browser 2.0 display error when installed through App browser, how to rectify it.... ???

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Sea Monkey Browser
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 11:32:25 PM »
I see no error when it is installed by the appbrowser on a "base norestore" boot.

What kind of error are you talking about?

Offline dsara35

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 02:52:11 AM »
Search in internet.. I too Dont know...  ;D ;D ;D
D.Saravanan

Offline thvinothan

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:34:34 AM »
I see no error when it is installed by the appbrowser on a "base norestore" boot.

What kind of error are you talking about?

When i download seamonkey.tcz using appbowser it first download all the dependency files and then the seamonkey.tcz file, after the downloading is finished it display a msg "! Error" and my system goes blank... What may be the problem???????

My system ram size is 128mb

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 04:08:41 AM »
With 128MB of ram, you are likely out of memory.  Do you have your tce directory on a hard drive or usb key?  That along with using mounted mode of extensions, which is default in TC 2.7, should allow it to work.

Offline thvinothan

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 10:04:33 PM »
With 128MB of ram, you are likely out of memory.  Do you have your tce directory on a hard drive or usb key?  That along with using mounted mode of extensions, which is default in TC 2.7, should allow it to work.

I also tried installing sea monkey browser in my bootable usb which is 4GB in size, and the tce directory is in the usb but it display the same  "! Error" msg and my system hang... :(

Offline thvinothan

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 11:28:30 PM »
When i try to install manually it display

Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0"
Killed

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
You seem to be a victim of the Linux Oom, or "out of memory" killer.  If you enter dmesg in a terminal after Seamonkey crashes, you will likely find that it was killed since it was targeted as the offending app that was gobbling up memory.

If you are using mounted mode of extensions, along with the tcz's being on your usb key, there is not a whole lot more you can do except make sure you are running Seamonkey while running nothing else.  Perhaps Opera has less ram use, but any full featured modern web browser will be a tight fit to run in 128Mb ram. 

Offline thvinothan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
Thanks....... i can use sea monkey on larger ram........ :D ;D

But can i get the old version of Sea monkey browser 1.1.16 i think its fit in to my 128mb ram...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »
TC 3.0 will work better in low-ram situations ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline otropogo

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »
I'm having far worse problems with Seamonkey 2.0 in Tinycore, although the problem may not be with the app itself...

Twice today I installed Seamonkey online in TC. The first time I installed Firefox immediately after Seamonkey. And I also installed the firewall. I.couldn't get either browser to run.

I checked my free memory and there appeared to be no problem. I have 1GB of RAM installed.

I thought maybe the two installations were interfering with each other somehow, or else it was the firewall, but couldn't find a way to uninstall any of these apps, so I rebooted without saving, and tried again. This time I installed only Seamonkey, and tried to run it. No cigar.

The last (and first) time I tried this was on November 8th. I installed Seamonkey and it ran just fine. Have made no changes to my system, which basically runs only Puppy Linux 4.3.1 from a LiveCD using a save file for apps and configuration.

The problem certainly isn't memory shortage, nor netcard configuration (since the appsbrowser works fine). The only thing that I can think of that's changed is Seamonkey, which was upgraded to 2.0.1 according to the appsbrowser window.

I found it curious also that although the firewall was shown as successfully installed, it never appeared in the apps tab, nor was there an icon for it on the desktop.

Any suggestions how I can get a browser working again in TinyCore?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 10:36:22 AM »
What version of Tinycore are you running?  If you are not running 2.7, either update to it or install the tce-notify extension.

If that doesn't work, let us know.

Offline otropogo

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 11:34:11 AM »
Have made some more attempts at running apps under TinyCore running Opera 10 and EPDFview .

Neither runs from the apps menu or from the desktop icon, so I tried running them from the command line.

Both apps gave library load errors "cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory"

EPdfview listed libthread-2.0.so.0

Opera reported it couldn't "preload" libjwm.so and libawt.so

or load libQ+Gui.so.4

PS> I noticed the BUG thread a warning that one had to install one app  before downloading any others if using a TinyCore version <2.7.

Is failure to do this the cause of the above problems? If so, a prominent warning on the download window itself would be helpful (I didn't notice any).

Will try Jason W's suggestion and report back.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 11:38:06 AM by otropogo »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »
It is pretty certain that installing tcz-notify or using the current version of TC will solve the issue of missing libraries as ldconfig is otherwise not being run during the installation of apps in older versions of TC since the new name system in the repo.

Offline otropogo

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 02:02:58 PM »
Yes, installing tcz-notify first solved the problem. I was able to run opera, firefox, seamonkey and epdfview.

But I did run into a vexing problem with every one of the three browsers. When trying to view videos at

www.spiegel.de

I got an error message that Flash 9 couldn't be found, and suggesting that disabled java scripting was the problem.

I spent some time looking for a solution to this, especially since my stock Seamonkey 1.1.18 in Puppy Linux 4.3.1 recently started refusing to run these videos as well (and without offering any explanation at all). But I couldn't find a setting (or a tcz app) to fix this problem in any of the three browsers.

In contrast, when I rebooted with the SLAX distro (I'm using the Ultilex 5.0.0 LiveCD containing SLAX 6.1.2, TinyCore 2.4.1, and Puppy 4.3.1), and ran Firefox 3.5.1 and the Konquerer browser, both of those ran the Spiegel videos without problems using Flash 9.