WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Google Gears and firefox?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline althalus

Google Gears and firefox?
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
Anyone have any experience setting up Google Gears with the version of Firefox in the repo?

After installing the extension, I'm getting a funny little error message:
google gears could not be installed because it is not compatible with your firefox build type

Which seems to have mixed responses - some say just reinstall the extension, others say firefox was compiled against older incompatible drivers, and the solution is to recompile firefox.

It however appears to be working, despite the error message... My Gmail is trying to sync as I type this.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Google Gears and firefox?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 01:26:16 PM »
I'll check it out tonight.  I have read reinstalling Google Gears solves this, and also read that the official Mozilla build of Firefox is built against older libs to remain compatible with older distros which may cause an issue with Google Gears.  If that is the case, running Shiretoko should solve the issue as we have pretty a pretty recent toolchain and libs.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »
I got the error message window with Shiretoko, but Google Gears is working fine.

Offline althalus

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:32:01 AM »
I got the error message window with Shiretoko, but Google Gears is working fine.

Yeah, appears to work fine with the official firefox as well, despite the error message. It's intriguing...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 05:10:56 AM »
Tools > addons lists Google gears as installed, the web page said it installed correctly.  The error box said the build was linux_x86-gcc3 so it was incompatible.  Shiretoko was built with gcc 4.2.2 that is in the repo, so it is compatible but the box is just echoing a false find that is almost surely harmless.