General TC > Tiny Core Netbooks

eee pc with webcam : 701SD

(1/5) > >>

julianb:
I like tinycore because it's quick. On the other hand, I like the tendency for things to "just work" in Ubuntu.

If I can make tinycorelinux work on my new eee pc 701sd including making the web cam easy to use, then it's tinycorelinux that I want to use.

so my first question is, do you know if it's worth trying?

here's what would make me say "the software supports this hardware as well as I want":

1) able to record video, save it to the SSD, and retrieve it later, and upload it to facebook/youtube.
2) able to take a photo.
3) able to use Ekiga or Skype for low resolution video+audio chat

so my request is,
if you know what software will make the above capabilities work, please tell me. (if you know some of what's required, please tell me.) I have never used ndiswrapper but if that's needed, i'd appreciate any help understanding how to use it.

curaga:
The drivers for all supported webcams are in the v4l-dvb-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm extension. Loading it should turn your webcam on, if it is a supported one.

Video can be recorded just with the standard unix tools, ie "cat /dev/video0 > my_vid.mpeg" and ctrl-C to stop recording. Alternatively Mplayer can be used.

I believe you need an app for taking a pic, I'm not sure if one is yet packaged for TC.

For Skype, it should be enough to grab the above extension and one of the sound extensions (alsa or oss).

julianb:
thanks.

on my 701sd, i'm encountering a problem i didnt encounter on the 900a :

iwconfig claims that the device ath0 does not exist (it also does not find any device named ath* or wlan*

maybe i'm missing the correct drivers for realtek wireless lan card, which (i read online) is what this pc contains.

i have not checked output of the command lspci.

wicd is buggy in that if I install it the GUI contains nothing but the squares (hmm, maybe I need to install some fonts or something?)

am typing this from the 701sd booted to windows. Windows performs very poorly on this hardware.

julianb:
I attempted to use ndiswrapper to install the Windows driver for the rtl8187se wireless NIC. The specific driver I used was the one you can find in a Google search for rtl8187se driver; it was hosted by informer.com

After installing the driver, i can do
ndiswrapper -l

and it returns
[driver name]: driver installed
and on the same line it says something about "no device".

I could download the tarball of the driver hosted by Google Code, which can be found by searching for rtl8187se driver within Google Code's subdomain....
but I'm not sure it'd work.

I ask because I don't really want to set the machine up with Puppylinux or Ubuntu, which both seem to support the rtl8187se. I like Tinycorelinux better.

Juanito:

--- Quote from: julianb on December 08, 2009, 11:21:25 AM ---I ask because I don't really want to set the machine up with Puppylinux or Ubuntu, which both seem to support the rtl8187se. I like Tinycorelinux better.

--- End quote ---

You could copy the windows driver used by ndiswrapper from puppy/ubuntu, no?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version