WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Few ideas about Appsbrowser  (Read 2677 times)

Offline neonix

Few ideas about Appsbrowser
« on: December 08, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
1. It can be remake to very simple and tiny file manager.
2. Those wget pop-ups are very disturbing, it should be in tray.
3. I don't need installation confirmation in window. There should be Appsbrowser's log window.
4. There should be repository mirror list with ability to change and add new one.
5. There should be ability to change default extension directory in Appsbrowser.

Offline JoXo009

Re: Few ideas about Appsbrowser
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »
Quote from: neonix
1. It can be remake to very simple and tiny file manager.
2. Those wget pop-ups are very disturbing, it should be in tray.
3. I don't need installation confirmation in window. There should be Appsbrowser's log window.
4. There should be repository mirror list with ability to change and add new one.
5. There should be ability to change default extension directory in Appsbrowser.
Nice ideas, but just ideas.

Can be quite contraproductive to add and add features. Sooner or later you end with some overloaded stuff nobody want (and can) use anymore.

Another aspect it the needed manpower for creation. To express an idea may need 5 minutes, to create a working GUI feature for beta release could easily mean 50 working hours including all the cross tests needed.

For each single feature - so in total that could be 250 working hours for your five little suggestions - do you want to spend that amount of working time?

My opinion: a repo mirror list would be nice if someone would be so kind to code and test.

All the rest doesn't seem as important to me, that it's worth the needed working time and maybe it would even destroy the simplicity appbrowser can be handled now without the need first to do two hours manual reading.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
You can set the mirror for appbrowser from the control panel.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Pats

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:02:23 PM »
Jox has rightly posted the practical difficulty abt the time factor - which only a developer knows !

One small suggestion though - is it possible to add an item like - Tutorial - somewhere on the desktop itself for the new entrants to TCL - which explains how to use TCL ?
I know there is - Help - in the control panel, but Tutorial may explain oftenly used task in some simple steps. :)

~ Pats

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
It would be awesome if someone in the community who is audio/visual savvy to make a narrated You Tube video of the basics. Then we don't have to make space for such in the base system.
Note, that TC/MC is still evolving and I am trying to make it simpiler.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline Pats

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 03:55:54 AM »
Good idea abt YouTube video - only everybody has to have access to fast internet , I think ! :)

Note, that TC/MC is still evolving and I am trying to make it simpiler.
Hmm ! I hope Somebody try to understand Learning TCL basics from the POView from the newbees eyes - who has started to use Linux directly from the TCL itself !
By the way - is it mentioned somewhere in TCL docs -that prior knowledge of Linux basics is needed before venturing into TCL use ? 
Just a thought ! I hope it is mentioned somewhere ! :)
Frankly enough it takes some time to adjust to TCL use - even though I am using Linux for a while ...

~ Pats

Offline wdef

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
My $0.02:  I disagree with OP's points 2 & 3.  

2. wget progress is good feedback so you know the download is in progress and roughly what stage it is at.

3. Installation confirmation is also good usability practice and it should be obvious (which it is).  Being able to expose and read a log would be a good optional feature but not at the expense of a simple installation confirmation dialog.

UIs which give insufficient feedback are much worse than those that give too much.

Offline neonix

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »
2. wget progress is good feedback so you know the download is in progress and roughly what stage it is at.

3. Installation confirmation is also good usability practice and it should be obvious (which it is).  Being able to expose and read a log would be a good optional feature but not at the expense of a simple installation confirmation dialog.
I don't want to remove them permanently. I only propose to change the way it works.

Another few ideas:
6. There should be special cloud mode in Appbrowser. For example, if I want to install mplayer extension only once, and I don't want to save it on my hard disk/pendrive, there should be special mode that will save it in /tmp and then delete extension after install (mount doesn't count) to free RAM space.
7. Automatic connection to the repo after appbrowser start.
8. There is no ability to copy and paste from description/info window.
9. It would be also nice to have a categories.