WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: hal.tczl.dep  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Kingdomcome

hal.tczl.dep
« on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:41 PM »
Could expat2.tczl be moved higher than dbus.tczl please?  When loading hal after boot, the dbus post-install complains that expat lib cannot be found.  Thanks :)

Offline Kingdomcome

Re: hal.tczl.dep
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:26:39 AM »
still seeing this problem.  expat needs to be loaded before dbus.  Test by loading hal.tczl from a base norestore boot you will see the error that dbus-daemon cannot start because of missing expat.so.1

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:06 PM »
On which TC/MC version?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:02:48 PM »
Currently seeing this on TC_2.5, although I believe I was also seeing this on 2.4

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 02:26:59 PM »
I have never had any startup problem even back to 2.3 when HAL extension was created.

Currently startup scripts are started after all extensions are loaded. So extension loadings order is neutral.

HAL is not started by startup script but by the Xfce4 startup script. This script checks DBUS status and if not running it starts DBUS before HAL executing 'hal-start' command. Result is, that DBUS/HAL always starts expecting that 'hal-start' command is used.

Jason's explanation:

Actually, it has been recently changed to where during boot if an extension has a startup script, that startup script name is echoed to a file and the order of extensions is loaded alphabetically, but with dependencies loaded first if a dep file exists for the extension.  At the end of boot, the name of the startup scripts exist in the file in the order that the extensions were loaded.  Then at the end of boot after depmod and ldconfig are run, the startup scripts are executed from that list.

In other words, if dbus has expat listed as a dependency, then expat gets loaded and it's startup script is run before dbus's both during boot as well as with appbrowser use.

In fact expat2 has no startup script, it was used just as an example.

See discussion at http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=3923.0
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:42:44 PM by bmarkus »
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
The startup script for dbus depends on expat being already installed.  Since dbus is higher in the dep file than expat, upon installation dbus will be loaded before expat and will try to start without expat being loaded when the appbrowser is used.

Since all extensions are loaded and depmod/ldconfig ran upon boot before the startup scripts are run, dbus will start fine.  But with the appbrowser, dbus will run it's startup script before expat is downloaded and installed.

We opted to preserve the loading of dependent extensions first upon boot instead of simple alphabetical order to allow for operations in startup scripts that require dependent extensions being installed and their scripts ran first.  The small price is the requirement of placing the dependencies in order in the dep files, though during boot all extensions are loaded before the first script is ran.

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »
Ah yes, I failed to mention this is mostly noticed when using cloud mode and downloading hal after boot, because this is how I choose to work on all my extension creating,  Thanks for understanding and explaining better than I could, Jason.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:31 PM »
OK, it is clear now. I will review and adjust the dep file.  :)
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:52:53 AM »
Updated hal.tczl.dep is sent to Jason for submission.
Béla

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 05:51:49 AM »
Slightly OT, but still regarding HAL, would you please submit the hal-dev extension to the repo Bella?  Im not sure if the build I am attempting actually requires the hal-devs, but my script would be a little cleaner if it were available in the repo and not a local copy (which I do have thanks to you and others).  Thanks again for your work, Im especially liking the DEs.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:53:35 AM »
Slightly OT, but still regarding HAL, would you please submit the hal-dev extension to the repo Bella?  Im not sure if the build I am attempting actually requires the hal-devs, but my script would be a little cleaner if it were available in the repo and not a local copy (which I do have thanks to you and others).  Thanks again for your work, Im especially liking the DEs.

Sure, I will send it.
Béla