WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: compiling + making extensions : noob question  (Read 1642 times)

Offline julianb

compiling + making extensions : noob question
« on: December 14, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
so when I compiled a driver for my wireless card (realtek rtl8187) it eventually worked (like magic!) but I didn't really understand the process.

Namely, what files got created, and where.

I went to the directory where the "makefile" was (with a lot of the other files from the source tarball) and ran the command "make", and then I ran the included script called "wlan0up".

But I wanted to gather all files produced by "make" to try to turn them into a tinycore extension i can keep around... only I don't know where the files were placed automagically.

Can anyone help me understand "make", and help me understand where my computer put files in order to make wireless work?

Offline combo3

Re: compiling + making extensions : noob question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »
Viewing the contents of Makefile and wlan0up should provide you with the information.

(On a side note, rtl8187 is already included in wireless-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm.)

Offline julianb

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
Thanks for responding. The makefile is full of stuff that I don't understand but it also seems to contain info about where the files are going. namely /lib/modules/((kernel version))/kernel/drivers/net/wireless (and maybe /lib/modules/((kernel version))/build ). The shell scripts called makedrv and install also point at directories.

((kernel version)) mentioned above would be "2.6.29.1-tinycore", currently.

This machine is definitely not working with just the package you mention. nothing called "wlan0" or "ath0" shows up if I try to use iwconfig. This is when I have wireless_tools... plus wireless-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm or wireless-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tczm or both.

"eth0, dummy0, and lo" are showing up with no wireless extensions, which i think is normal.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:20:07 PM »
If you want to see where the files go when you run make, make install or a script:

1. load the beaver (or other text editor) and find extensions
Code: [Select]
$ touch mymarker
$ [run command]
$ sudo find / -not -type 'd' -cnewer mymarker | grep -v "\/proc\/" | grep -v "^\/sys\/" | tee files
$ beaver files

This will list the files that have been added or changed.

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 12:09:18 PM »
or using DESTDIR may be useful.  These methods are in the "creating extensions" wiki page, iirc.