WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Get APPS with no internet on TC laptop? Load APS on boot from auto-mounted USB?  (Read 36353 times)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
gz file:  just unzip it and see what you have.  :)

Pournelle: great sci-fi over the years.  -Long-time computer geek.  Haven't read much of his other non-fiction.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline grandma

• Never forget Grandma Loves You & made that candy4U
    • Back when a 10MB HD was $500 bucks
Need help with MC - am going to try to wean myself off the TCE Svolli version that is installed on my NTFS drive - have been using it for a few months now - do like it - want less

"Less is more"

Tried the new MC  that can read NTFS - thank you RobertS

Don't really need to write to NTFS - though that would be nice - but not required at this point and I guess we can get the tools installed afterwards - that works - actually I kinda like the READ ONLY NTFS characteristic of the new MC.

So I wanna switch...but can't. Tried a MC boot today - got a neat black screen and VI editor - kewl. Uh...ooops - got stuck in VI with no memory of how to exit and made a pencil cheat sheet for use later so I don't have to use power button.

Need help with Xorg to replace Xvesa - read up on the xorg.conf files - not sure where to stick it ...

Need help with WGET - want to try using coreutils and other functions - and get rid of busy box. I have gotten good enough with SH now that I can write a loop to find dependencies...but haven't done my first WGET yet. Not sure how this works.

I THINK?

a) wget url - no clue on what the physical URL is for these files. Help!

b) unzip to /tce/optional - never did an unzip in Linux - help here would be appreciated - have no idea what tool to even use for that.

c) wget the url.info to nail dependencies - or one of those files -

d) script through - build dependency array recursively - got that - I assume someone has written this already - if available would be appreciated.

Ok - so a file has landed. Now what? Do I ?RUN IT AT TERM?

Am going to test tinywm - don't need a desktop and not sure I even need tinywm - but it seemed like the smallest puppy in the pack.

So...that leaves XORG and WGET as the only issues to date. Any help would be appreciated.

It looks like I am going through a somewhat common step-by-step transititon

1. Windows user gets tired of viruses - swears off windows and investigates TC

2. Installs TC, tries other packages, comes back to TC.

3. Gets some progress - likes TC speed and tight install

4. Has some headaches, swears they'll switch to another distro - tries Puppy (I did - nice - cute - sweet) - finds out it crashes too - goes back to TC

5. Makes a lot of progress in TC - slowly works up to an entire hour of Linux in a day - the other 15 hours are still Windows.

6. Gets to a point when they have enough confidence with tools to use Linux for an entire day. For me that took 2 months.

7. After a week of that, suddenly discovers they aren't using Windows at all - ooops - better go back and make sure it still works. It did - sort of - switched back to TC Linux.

8. After a month of that wants to shrink it further - at least the core - and starts switching around or eliminating components. In my case I want to dump flwm, busybox, Xprogs and Xlibs - replace them with a core and a few other standards and see how it works.

Naturally I expect enough problems that I may end up putting one or more back - but for now this is the plan.

Thank you for your patience and guidance.

~ Luv Grandma
"When children of all nations
play in the sandbox together
all morning-all day-all week, and
one fine sunny day; all year long ...
... then war will become an ancient memory
and Grandma can knit that sweater
you'll hold near to your heart
until long after you're my age.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
got stuck in VI with no memory of how to exit
:q or :wq to save

Need help with Xorg to replace Xvesa - read up on the xorg.conf files - not sure where to stick it
/etc/X11/xorg.conf

a) wget url - no clue on what the physical URL is for these files. Help!
They've not changed since the last time I posted them for you, for example:
Code: [Select]
$ wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/wget.tcz
$ wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/wget.tcz.dep
$ wget -c http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/wget.tcz.md5.txt

b) unzip to /tce/optional - never did an unzip in Linux - help here would be appreciated - have no idea what tool to even use for that.
"unzip filename.zip" (provided by busybox in the base)

Offline grandma

• Never forget Grandma Loves You & made that candy4U
    • Back when a 10MB HD was $500 bucks
Ok - I get it  - I will try Xorg today when I get back - and yipper - looks like busy box is really the defacto Linux on most systems - didn't know just how wide spread that is, at least in the embedded world - thank you.

~ Luv Grandma
"When children of all nations
play in the sandbox together
all morning-all day-all week, and
one fine sunny day; all year long ...
... then war will become an ancient memory
and Grandma can knit that sweater
you'll hold near to your heart
until long after you're my age.