WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: where is a clock?  (Read 7599 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: where is a clock?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »
how old is your jwm.tcz? compare md5sum with the repository. env should return DESKTOP=jwm
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:02:52 PM »
how old is your jwm.tcz? compare md5sum with the repository. env should return DESKTOP=jwm

md5check:

update -f jwm

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:24:47 AM »
If you have not updated your .xsession or .profile it will not work.

cp /etc/skel/.profile /home/tc/.profile
cp /etc/skel/.xsession /home/tc/.xsession
/etc/skel/ is empty!  ???

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 07:30:42 AM »
It probably looks empty because all the files/folders start with a "." which indicates the file/folder as "hidden".

If you use emelfm and click on the "H" button, the files will be revealed.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
It probably looks empty because all the files/folders start with a "." which indicates the file/folder as "hidden".

'ls -a' shows items starting with . too. Midnight Commander (mc) can be used as well in MC.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
roberts, others:  I downloaded a fresh copy of jwm.tcz through AppBrowser just before I posted, so it should have been the very latest (at least as fresh as TC 2.4.1 base).  I have since deleted jwm, but I suppose I could try again... but I'm just doing this to help out nickispeaki.  Although I also wanted to try a short experiment with windowlab, but that would not start either.  Maybe because I have renamed flwm executable to something else, and have a symbolic link named flwm pointing back to my locally-built version?  But it seems like TC should still be able to override flwm if another WM extensions is loaded.
--
Mike L.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »
Unless you are running a custom .profile and/or a custom .xsession and are current you should have no problems. You do not need a deskopt=xyz option, all that is necessary is having a window manager extension in your collection.

If you are current and not custom then Issuing an env | grep DESKTOP should display the active desktop window manager that will be started by .xsession.

I believe that we have learned that nikispeaki has not keep up the "file that have changed" in the release announcements, by the comment that their /etc/skel is empty! This would explain their issues.

There has been many changes during this transitional phase and one must keep current, not only the base system but many extensions have had to be tweaked, as well as updating the "files that have been changed".

Any transitional phase can be daunting.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 12:25:24 AM »
roberts, others:  I downloaded a fresh copy of jwm.tcz through AppBrowser just before I posted, so it should have been the very latest (at least as fresh as TC 2.4.1 base).  I have since deleted jwm, but I suppose I could try again... but I'm just doing this to help out nickispeaki.  Although I also wanted to try a short experiment with windowlab, but that would not start either.  Maybe because I have renamed flwm executable to something else, and have a symbolic link named flwm pointing back to my locally-built version?  But it seems like TC should still be able to override flwm if another WM extensions is loaded.
--
Mike L.

Mike,

tried windowlab installed from the repo on clean TC 2.4.1 started with base, nolocal, norestore. It starts and works as expected. windowlab is a minimalist WM and first may look it doesn't work, but press and hold down right mouse button, a horizontal menu bar must appear on the top.
Béla

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
bmarkus:  Thanks for the suggestions.  I may try again sometime, but the earlier attempt was just a casual try... I plan to work mostly within flwm and on FLTK-based apps for the forseeable future.
--
ML

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 09:27:16 AM »
bmarkus:  Thanks for the suggestions.  I may try again sometime, but the earlier attempt was just a casual try... I plan to work mostly within flwm and on FLTK-based apps for the forseeable future.
--
ML

OK. I just created windowlab originally to see what a minimalist - smallest I found - WM can do :) It looks good however and really usable! Also good to test TC.

BTW it was just recently updated, I will submit it.
Béla

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 04:23:36 AM »

thanks, Juanito!
thanks, bmarkus!

how can i foget it?  :o  ;D

rebooting...... ::)

Offline nickispeaki

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:37 AM »
--
ML

OK. I just created windowlab originally to see what a minimalist - smallest I found - WM can do :) It looks good however and really usable! Also good to test TC.

BTW it was just recently updated, I will submit it.

did you see dwm ?  8)

20k only....

but TERRIBLE simple! ;-0