Haven't had a chance to work with TC for a while. Your responses @Juanito and @curaga are appreciated. If i don't immediately respond, life got in the way. Thanks also to @Misalf for the tutorial.
I have now successfully compiled Rogue v5.4 and created my first extension (rogue54.tcz) - very exciting
compiletc loaded great, as did autoconf, automake and squashfs-tools. I believe i messed up my environment on the previous attempt, which was fixed once i reset .ashrc to default and rebooted. Rogue also needed ncurses-dev loaded to compile. No custom environment was utilized, just ran ./configure and make, uneventful once automake was installed. As per the manual, sudo strip -g * and mksquashfs was also utilized.
Outstanding issues and much to learn. Any feedback is appreciated, otherwise i'll just keep digging:
- I still need to confirm rogue54.tcz loads and works on a reboot. Not yet sure how ncurses hooks up with rogue54, if it automagically loads or if i need to load seperate. I will try without first and see. Since i don't have any applications dependent on ncurses in my onboot.lst, but ncurses is a rogue54 dependency, shouldn't it now auto-install when installing rogue54?
- As i did not specify any environment variables when compiling (CFLAGS CXXFLAGS LDFLAGS), does this mean it's not a valid TC extension for submission? I know nothing of these variables - foreign language. Still don't know how to properly specify these variables, especially without .ashrc, as adding variables to .ashrc appeared to break my Debian environment (fixed).
- I forgot to specify --prefix=/usr/local when configuring, but thankfully rogue54 defaulted to this directory.
- Not yet sure how to add the Apps info, files, depends and size information for submission. Will read up on how to submit a proper extension and investigate further.
- As per the manual, i removed the man page and docs before running squashfs. In hindsight, maybe i should have left these installed since the total extension size is so small and i notice other games, such as nethack and elemines, left them installed.