WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: VLC dvd playback  (Read 280 times)

Offline edgardogho

VLC dvd playback
« on: July 13, 2015, 07:26:20 AM »
I can't get VLC (TC63) to play DVD.
When I run cvlc --list , I don't see the dvdread / dvdnav access module. On an older version I get those and DVD play correctly.
I'm playing a test DVD which requires no CSS and commercial DVDs that need CSS and neither work.
I have libdvdread and libdvdnav.

Any pointers on what I can try?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: VLC dvd playback
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:54:38 AM »
Hmm - as per http://tinycorelinux.net/6.x/x86/tcz/src/vlc/compile_vlc

..vlc was compiled against dvdnav, so I'm not sure what happened here...

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
Same for me. Also DVB-T doesn't work.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
If either of you would like to recompile vlc, please be my guest - I almost never use it.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:48:51 AM »
I recompiled using --enable-dvdnav and configure complained about DVDNAV and DVDREAD not being 4.9.0 or higher.
So I got them from VLC and compile them both, then recompiled vlc (again with --enable-dvdnav) and I was able to play DVDs.

I'll try to sort out all the steps and will post them.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 01:05:40 PM »
OK, so I got it working with DVD.
In order to make it work , need to:
1) Get http://download.videolan.org/videolan/libdvdread/5.0.3/libdvdread-5.0.3.tar.bz2 and compile it, load it.
2) Get http://download.videolan.org/videolan/libdvdnav/5.0.3/libdvdnav-5.0.3.tar.bz2 and compile it, load it.
3) Get lua-dev.tcz and lua.tcz from tinycore 4.x (Need to be lua 5.2.3 , not 5.3.0 included on TC6.3)
4) Get libcddb-dev 1.3.2 from tinycore 4.x (needed to include cddb access for audio CDs)
5) Get https://github.com/taglib/taglib/releases/download/v1.9.1/taglib-1.9.1.tar.gz and compile it, load it. Needed for cddb access too.

With that I was able to get vlc, with RC interface (I need this for interaction with other software), support for cddb access and DVD.

Offline gordon64

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:31:30 AM »
edgardogho

I think you are re-building vlc for 32 bit?
and I assume you will submit updated dependencies.....lots of work eh?

I am thinking of re-building vlc for 64 bit, mainly to add youtube support via lua script.

I have yet to start, but when I do, maybe if you agree we can pm each other with our build scripts?

cheers

gordon

Thankyou for your last post as I may need it to test dvd playback when I get around to it

Offline gordon64

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 12:05:04 AM »
edgardogho
Just to update, my 64 build script is virtually complete as vlc in 64 bit was  tested for most local files,
one dvd=Zulu and streaming of youtube using lua script.

My offer to pm you my build script in case it helps remains. I am not trying to be pushy and recognise the packages and names and some dependencies are bound to be different.

cheers.

Offline edgardogho

« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:26:59 AM »
I had to put this on the back burner since other issues have a higher priority.
I had to hack the web  interface component for VLC since it enforced authentication and it broke the software it was integrated with. Therefore I can't submit my tcz because its heavily hacked.
If somebody else can takeover building a 32bits version I would appreciate it.

I posted what I did to get it built, which is pretty much follow the posted src build script but using the latest libdvdread libdvdnav.