Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Q&A Forum

no sound! can't install oss!

(1/2) > >>

nickispeaki:
notebook acer 5710zg. i use in tcl 2.1 oss.tczm and it worked. Now in tcl 2.4.1 doesn't work not oss.tczm not oss.tczm! ;-(

there is only 2 files:

1. /usr/local/tce.menu/OSS

<JWM>
<Menu label="OSS">
<Program label="Sound ON">aterm -T "Turning sound ON and loading volumes" -e sudo soundon</Program>
<Program label="Sound OFF">aterm -T "Turning sound OFF and saving volumes" -e sudo soundoff</Program>
<Program label="GTK2 mixer">ossxmix</Program>
</Menu>
</JWM>

Why JWM, not Flwm?! ???

and
2. /usr/local/tce.installed/OSS
#!/bin/sh

sudo /usr/sbin/soundon

no any other files! no sound! ;-0

maro:
Have you actually tried to run a sound test (e.g. osstest)?

The tce.menu/OSS information works for me with Flwm: right-click or Alt-tab, select 'Applications' -> 'OSS' and there are the tree menu entries ('Sound_ON', 'Sound_OFF' and 'GTK2_mixer').

For the GTK2 mixer to work you will need the 'gtk2.tczl' extension, which is mentioned in the OSS.tczm info (see the right side of the appbrowser after selecting the OSS extension).

I don't use the same hardware as yourself, but I was just playing around with this just in the last hour and all was working well.

nickispeaki:

--- Quote from: maro on October 11, 2009, 05:55:39 PM ---Have you actually tried to run a sound test (e.g. osstest)?

The tce.menu/OSS information works for me with Flwm: right-click or Alt-tab, select 'Applications' -> 'OSS' and there are the tree menu entries ('Sound_ON', 'Sound_OFF' and 'GTK2_mixer').

For the GTK2 mixer to work you will need the 'gtk2.tczl' extension, which is mentioned in the OSS.tczm info (see the right side of the appbrowser after selecting the OSS extension).

I don't use the same hardware as yourself, but I was just playing around with this just in the last hour and all was working well.

--- End quote ---
1. as i tell you i HAVEN"T any installed file of OSS! ;-( even osstest!
2. yes! i have 3 menus, but.... it's links and empty place (see 1.)
3. Alt+tab doesn't work! ;-( or work eventuelly.
4. i have gtk2.tczl
5. in tcl 2.1 i have sound...

ok. anyway, thanks for attention! any ideas?
 ???

tclfan:
I am foreign to this topic so pardon me if I talk nonsense, but just a question: It sounds like to even see a mixer we need to install gt2k.tczl libraries? Does this mean we need to install some unrelated bloat that goes with these libraries to make simple sound work?

This my question is actually more general... I have seen that installing simple system utilities like rox file explorer pull along with it all kinds of libraries as dependencies and I would think those libraries are meant to do much more and more diversified tasks than just file exploring, which means bloat unrelated to what we want to do...

Please correct me if I am wrong...

roberts:
You don't need gtk2 to have sound with OSS.
Only the mixer GUI needs Gtk2. There has been talk to spearate the two.

From the .info file:

--- Quote ---The optional GUI mixer depends on GTK2;
the command-line mixer, ossmix, works in all systems.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version