WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Request - wvdial  (Read 17288 times)

Offline qb4

Re: Request - wvdial
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 04:09:33 AM »
This won't be of any help to you, and probably of very little interest.
Following your mention of PPPSETUP, I searched and found a couple of files.. both quite different.
One has a TUI, and the other creates a script.
I setup the script one and ran it, and after having to re-locate all the PPPD files to /usr/sbin (which is apparently where they are supposed to be), ran the script and online immediately.
Only problem was I couldn't connect with Opera or Minefield, but Links was fine.

The file was pppsetup-2.28.tar.gz (7,896bytes), but I don't remember where I got it from.

Probably not the best one to make a .tce of for the average punter.

Anyway, TC is now dialup-connectable. HOORAH!

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 06:05:03 AM »
That is the same pppsetup I used.  Now the issue is supporting PPI so configs would not have to be backed up on each reboot.  The pppsetup script would require quite a rewrite, so I may write a new one from scratch to accomodate PPI  mode as that may be easier than the rewriting and testing of a hacked pppsetup.  For now use pppsetup and I will post a setup tool when PPI mode of pppd.tcel is worked out.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 08:27:47 AM »
...after having to re-locate all the PPPD files to /usr/sbin (which is apparently where they are supposed to be), ran the script and online immediately.

step by step instructions, if possible, would be neat for dialup users. as for relocating the files, i'm just guessing that you should have untargz'ed it from the / folder, which should put the files in the right place.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 08:37:40 AM »
There is now a pppsetup.tce extension.

Offline alex

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 06:42:42 AM »
Hi:

Is there any posibility to upload wvdial.tce?  this utility works flawesly in other distro.

Regards,
Alex

Offline alex

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »
Hi Jason:

I have had sucess with wvdial version 1.41!!

I had to copy manually the configuration files from puppyOS:

1)I copied to "/etc" the files reslov.conf and wvdial.conf
2)I copied to /usr/bin the file wvdial (it´s only 77 kb)
2)I created a file /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial with "noauth" and "name wvdial" in two separate lines.
3) and add a line in wvdial.conf with PPPD Path = /usr/local/sbin/pppd

Now I want the configuration to persist after reboot. Do I have to create a TCE extension? or is there any way to back up the copied files?

Thanks!!
Alex

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
That's great.  Backing up the files in /etc and the binary in /usr/local by adding them to /opt/.filetool.lst would make it persist.  It would be good if you could submit an extension of this.

Offline mcewanw

Another success using wvdial from Puppy; with pcmcia modem on /dev/ttyS1
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 05:29:49 AM »
I have had sucess with wvdial version 1.41!!

I had to copy manually the configuration files from puppyOS:

The above worked for me too. I took the files from Puppy Linux version 2.17.1

[EDIT: I didn't need to do everything I list below. Please therefore also see my immediately following post for final details]

Just for the hell of it, I also copied puppyserialdetect (into /usr/sbin), which also worked fine under Tiny Core Linux.
What was particularly good, from my point of view, was that it all now also worked with my PCMCIA modem on /dev/ttyS1

Prior to the above, I could only get pppsetup with ppp-go working on an external modem connected to /dev/ttyS0

I did do a few extra things during the configuration (some of which might not be relevant... I have to re-check):

1. I downloaded tce extension setserial

2. I ran: setserial  -v  -b  /dev/ttyS1  auto_irq  skip_test  autoconfig
(I don't really know if I 'needed' to do items 1 and 2 though; I'll have to check that and report back later).

3. I entered: ln  -sf  /dev/modem /dev/ttyS1

4. I edited /etc/ppp/pppscript in order to change the modem initialisation info to:

""   "ATZ"
""  "ATQ0  V1  E1  S0=0  &C1  &D2  S11=55  +FCLASS=0"
(on two separate lines)

These modem init values were the same as those I found in puppy wvdial.conf, without which my pcmcia modem on /dev/ttyS1 wouldn't connect. Using them I'm now able to dial-in using either wvdial or ppp-go from my pcmcia modem on /dev/ttyS1.

5. Owing to my Internet Service Provider doing something to their ppp connection negotiation set up, I needed to also add the   -am   option on a line by itself just after the line asyncmap 0 in the file /etc/ppp/options
That is:

. . .
asyncmap 0
-am
. . .

I believe the above tells pppd not to negotiate asyncmap but to use the default value asyncmap 0. Without that, I cannot connect using ppp to my ISP with pretty much any Linux distribution (though Windows machines dial in fine). I doubt most people need or want the -am option though; it's just my ISP and a few others.

6. I 'may' have done something else too, but I can't recall. However, I'll be trying the procedure out from scratch tomorrow sometime, so will edit this post accordingly as needed.

I'm absolutely loving the tiny tiny core linux. It is the most flexible Linux distribution ever. Fantastic job!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 03:33:04 PM by mcewanw »

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 04:02:19 PM »
I have now gone through the above process again from scratch to find out what parts I didn't actually require.

1. To get ppp-go (via pppsetup) working, on either my external modem (on /dev/ttyS0) or now my pcmcia modem (on /dev/ttyS1) I don't need wvdial at all (however, ... instructions for using wvdial from Puppy OS work fine for me, though, on my computer, with my ISP, I still need to also do the configurations which I outline below).

2. My external hardware modem on /dev/ttyS0 works fine with the default modem initialisation settings provided by pppsetup. However my pcmcia modem wouldn't work with the default AT modem string values. Instead, I had to supply the following AT modem string (which also, incidentally, works fine with my external modem on /dev/ttyS0):

ATZ OK "ATQO V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0" OK

I entered the above all on one line when asked (given the opportunity to) on running the pppsetup program. Note that pppsetup then automatically writes out the pppscript (and creates ppp-go), which results in the following line appearing in pppscript just prior to the atdt... dialing stanza:

"" ATZ OK "ATQO V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0" OK

This is actually the default modem initialisation string which Puppy Linux version 2.17.1 uses for wvdial as it happens (though of course you don't need to use wvdial itself at all for ppp-go to work unless you want that dialer too).

(NOTE: Since the above modem initialisation string has always worked well with a variety of modems, I suggest that pppsetup is modified such that this is offered as the default modem initialisation string, since that would avoid a lot of newcomers a lot of potential difficulty).

3. This part probably doesn't effect most people. It depends on how your Internet Service Provider has ppp set up. In my case, I was getting the following ppp connect error:

. . .
Sent [PAP AuthReq . . .]
No response to PAP authentication-requests
. . .
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x5 "Failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer"]
Connection terminated

The solution, as I pointed out in my above post was to add the pppd option -am to the /etc/ppp/options pppd configuration file. I put that option immediately after the asyncmap 0 option line, on a separate line, as follows in this extract (don't forget the minus sign in front of the am). As I said, most people probably won't need or want this -am option though:

Code: [Select]
. . .
asyncmap 0
-am
. . .

Note that I didn't need to install or use "setserial" afterall (or any programs at all from Puppy Linux if I was simply wanting to use pppsetup and ppp-go [just needed the suggested modem initialisation string], though the wvdial program out of Puppy version 2.17.1 certainly works too [with, for the case of my ISPs ppp negotiation, the above -am line added to /etc/ppp/options] as described).

Hope this info helps someone.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:24:15 PM by mcewanw »

Offline Guy

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 10:49:07 AM »
For information on how to set up a dial up internet connection, see

/dial.html][removed due to policy violation]/dial.html

For information on how to install Tiny Core without being connected to the internet, see

/install.html][removed due to policy violation]/install.html

I hope this helps people with dial up internet connections.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 09:34:16 AM by Guy »
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
it would be possible to recreate the extension for the new tinycore?
I've tried but I ran into an error when the program starts:
tc@box:/$ wvdial
wvdial: error while loading shared libraries: libuniconf.so.4.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
tc@box:
from what I found would be a wrong path of wvdial against wvstream,
a dependency that must be compiled first

Offline Guy

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
A wvdial extension would be a good addition.

It would be good if you keep trying, and see if you get it working. Even get help from others when you need it.

The people who create extensions do not have a dial up connection, and have no way of testing whether it works. So they have not created the extension.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 10:23:50 AM »
For a potential alternative see:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=8431.msg45206#msg45206
xeznet which is available as precompiled binary seemed to work here after some fiddling...
Of course, what Guy said applies, no opportunity to test with a modem connection.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 09:58:34 AM »
Ok, I succeded to use wvdial and now I want to create the package, but still a few problems and I would ask those who are more experienced than me.

1 After compiling wvdial always and ran, it says he does not find the library libuniconf.so.4.6. This library comes from wvstream I have compiled first. This problem seems to disappear to the installation of any package.tcz! could be a permissions problem?

2 wvdial inevitably calls for the executable pppd in /usr/sbin (actually installed in /usr/local/sbin from package pppd).
The string PPPD = /usr/local/sbin/pppd in /etc/wvdial.conf generates this error during wvdial starting:
--> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
--> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATD*99#
--> Waiting for carrier.
A symlink still easily solves this problem, but have an executable and a symlink in two different directory of executable both controlled by the system could not create problem?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:03:37 AM by vinnie »