WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: PDF Printer Function  (Read 2791 times)

Offline tclfan

PDF Printer Function
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »
What would it take to implement a PDF printer function. I understand that it might be possible today using some cups tcz and Ghostwriter. This is usually tends to require lots of manual configuration however.
Is there anything out there, simple and effective that can to be implemented in TC?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: PDF Printer Function
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »
Thank you. I missed this, of course... I will check it out too, however it appears to require Firefox, and avoiding using such heavy browser was my primary reason for my question, as Opera does not have pdf print. I thought there might be some light pdf printer for such important function, which would work across the board... When I looked for such across Linux I found only cups+ghostwriter, which seems like squeezing square peg in a round hole and lots of overhead for such a focused function...

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 06:13:46 AM »
The gs extension has pdf2ps, which you might be able to use to convert a pdf to ps and then send to a printer.

I'm not at a linux machine to try this, but you may be able to send a pdf file directly to a printer - something like:
Code: [Select]
$ lp -d printername filename.pdf

Offline perthie

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
@TCLFAN: You don't need Firefox - just a browser to access the CUPS web interface.

Once you install the extension, you still need to add the PDF printer in CUPS, just like any physical printer.

Device: CUPS-PDF (Virtual PDF Printer)
Make: Generic
Model: Generic CUPS-PDF

Once the printer is installed, it will write the PDF files to the folder /home/tc/cups-pdf

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:11:50 AM by perthie »

Offline tclfan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 02:12:51 PM »
@TCLFAN: You don't need Firefox - just a browser to access the CUPS web interface.
Thank you. I misunderstood then. The way you outline looks good. and hopefully with low overhead. I will try soon.

@Juanito: This is OK. I do not need to print to real printer, just pdf. Thanks for your reply. It was just my misunderstanding of prerequisits. This looks good now...