WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HD install for special purpose.  (Read 38503 times)

Offline tinypoodle

Re: HD install for special purpose.
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »
Wow... This thread was almost as long dead as "SCO vs. IBM".    :)

Nice reference! :)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
i need to install it on USB Pendrive.

Any help, please?

Sure, simply use the extension "tc-install.tcz"  I choose USB-HDD option for a USB frugal install 

then be sure to copy over files needed for persistence (if needed) and add the required bootcodes to the boot conf file

Hope that helps
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:34:54 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline San

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:56 PM »
@Lee
I would like to install it as regular unix on filesystem of real USB flash.

Maybe i can not get it to work but, by installing it by copy of vmlinuz and core.gz to usb cannot install modules (tce-load -wic pkg) to 'filesystem'.
And so, when I use on-boot load modules it uses allmost whole my 128mb of ram, and takes about 4 minutes to load.
If i extract cpio (core.gz) to filesystem and boot, it won't run without core.gz when installed on flash but works fine from HDD.

I have to get rid of loopback's and memory 'waste'.

edit.
Yes, friend, i have some problems with explanation. But, please, don't treat me like an idiot...

If there is anyone who wants to help...

offtopic:
@tinypoodle:
yay! i don't care! as long as it does not waste ram with tc modules.
making monolithic kernel was ONLY a TEST to check if there is a problem with kernel or core configuration.
sorry, i was trying to solve problems on my own...

"Nice reference" - nice ot...

@coreplayer2
yes, i did so. but it is STILL copy of vmlinuz and core.gz (plus persistent home, tce, optional)
and still - loopbacks - it is not what i want.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 06:57:11 PM »
I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were an idiot... You're already far more adventurous than I have been, and so probably know more about it, with regard to uncompressing the kernel and unpacking the initrd (though I'm thinking maybe I'll have a crack at the initrd some time, just for kicks).

And so, when I use on-boot load modules it uses allmost whole my 128mb of ram, and takes about 4 minutes to load.
If i extract cpio (core.gz) to filesystem and boot, it won't run without core.gz when installed on flash but works fine from HDD.

For booting from USB, don't forget to use the waitusb boot code... even though the kernel and initrd may have loaded from the same USB stick, you may have to wait a few seconds before you can load extensions from it.  That might explain why it works from HD but not from USB stick.

I wonder if your load time issues could be alleviated with a custom kernel or remastered core.gz.  Remastering Core is fairly simple - so much so that you'll sometimes see people trying it before they've got familiar with the OS in the first place.

On a system with only 128 MB of memory, I also wonder if its an older system - maybe with USB 1.0?  That would account for the long load times.  Memory-wise, 128 MB might not be that bad, depending on the application - I have little box with 128 MB in it and it runs fine - a little bit of web server, some ftp and pinch of sshd - of course no graphics or sound at all.

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline San

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »
I did not try to increase waitusb. Originally it was 5s.

The device is Wyse S10 (http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/s10/index.shtml). And it schould have usb2.0.
I'm going to replace memory with 256mb, but have to find some.

I wonder if your load time issues could be alleviated with a custom kernel or remastered core.gz[\quote]
so am i ;). and that's why i tried to recompile kernel, but maybe it was not a good idea.

Offline ctor

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
LPP

Offline core-user

• Linux since 1999
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 02:26:18 AM »
Your problem may be related to the fact that TC boots into a initrd.gz (core.gz) & stays there, whilst a 'normal' distro switches root out of initrd.gz to the root of your hard drive, & runs there.
AMD, ARM, & Intel.