WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: samba3 tce deps different than tcz - please explain  (Read 2603 times)

Offline bigpcman

samba3 tce deps different than tcz - please explain
« on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:39 AM »
I noticed that the samba3.tce has cups.tcel, gs.tcel, perl5.tcel as deps but samba3.tcz has only cups.tcel. I know work has been done to slim down samba but I'm not sure what samba3.tcz actually supports now. Are more extensions required to get printer support to work?

I would prefer samba3 be separated from cups if possible to slim it down even further and have all the printer support stuff in a separate extension.
big pc man

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: samba3 tce deps different than tcz - please explain
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »
I think if you want to use samba for anything other than printing, then only the cups extension is needed.

I am in the middle of re-buildng cups, hplip, samba, etc and have separated libcups from cups so that only libcups would need to be loaded to satisfy the samba dep.

I should be able to post libcups in a day or two and will fix the samba deps

Offline bigpcman

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:20:46 PM »
I think if you want to use samba for anything other than printing, then only the cups extension is needed.

I am in the middle of re-buildng cups, hplip, samba, etc and have separated libcups from cups so that only libcups would need to be loaded to satisfy the samba dep.

I should be able to post libcups in a day or two and will fix the samba deps

So will the end result be a samba3 extension without cups but with libcup and a cups extension that has all the deps required for local and shared printing?
big pc man

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »
In order for samba to work with cups, it has to be compiled against cups and so will not run without libcups being present.

The idea was to separate out libcups, which is relatively small, from the cups extension, which is relatively large, so that a user would only need to load libcups in order for the samba extension to run.

As several printing systems (hplip, gutenprint, etc) seem to be able to work without foomatic-rip, I will remove foomatic-rip from the cups extension. Since foomatic-rip depended on perl5, this has the effect of removing the dependency on perl5.

I'm testing the new extensions - at the moment:

samba - deps libcups
cups - deps libcups, dbus, expat2

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »
libcups posted and samba3 dep file modified accordingly

Offline Kingdomcome

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:55:50 AM »
This is great news, thanks for the work Juanito :)