WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: desktop text  (Read 5845 times)

Offline philip

Re: desktop text
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
Way back up the thread is Mike Lockmoore's suggestion that conky can do this. Indeed it can, and it's easy. I tested this by writing a mock to-do list in a file named ~/.conkytext and then adding the following two lines to my file ~/.conkyrc:
Code: [Select]
NOTES:
${head .conkytext 5 (2)}
Here "head" is a conky keyword, ".conkytext" can be replaced with whatever file name you like, "5" is the number of lines to be read from the top of the file, and "2" is the refresh interval in seconds.

Conky is impressively configurable: check out http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html for other things it is ready to display.

With flwm (my favourite), the issue alu mentions is still present: the conky display shows only on the first desktop.

Offline florian

• Home Page
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Two quick remarks related to my previous solution:

1 - add some group configuration magic in the configuration file:
<Group>
    <Name>backterm</Name>
    <Option>layer:1</Option>
    <Option>notitle</Option>
    <Option>noborder</Option>
    <Option>nolist</Option>
</Group>
2- restart jwm for the option to take effect.

Jwm is very customizable (see http://joewing.net/programs/jwm/config.shtml#groups), so there's an option to make the term "sticks" on all virtual desktops. The downside is that this confuses aterm's pseudo transparency.
<Option>sticky</Option>

3- create a symlink with name you specified in the goup config:
ln -s /usr/bin/aterm backterm
4- and then finally:
./backterm -tr +sb -sh 99 -fade 100 [-e my_program...]

Actually, no need for symlink. Just invoke aterm with the -name flag.
aterm -name backterm -tr +sb -sh 99 -fade 100 [-geometry ....] [-e my_program...]

;D

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »
With flwm (my favourite), the issue alu mentions is still present: the conky display shows only on the first desktop.
flwm has a special desktop named sticky. It only appears in the popup menu when more than one desktop has been selected. When sticky is displayed on the popup, select it to go there, and then start or select conky,  flit or other to have them appear on all desktops.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline alu

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:15 PM »
i did a little more search in the internet, and see that evilwm can make apps sticky, but i don't know how it works; basically, the code would be something like:

evilwm -app aterm -s &

-s is for sticky. now the difficulty for me is to know how to start evilwm with aterm stuck and displaying the way i have indicated in the thread... and this when x starts...

Offline alu

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 06:34:18 AM »
found the solution with evilwm (by chance), incredibly simple: you have to move to the aterm displayed and stick it with ctrl+alt+f; it will be then stick across workspaces