WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing GCC  (Read 2973 times)

Offline ThemePark

Installing GCC
« on: November 10, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »
I just started working on a Micro Core VM, and need to compile some libraries. So I downloaded the GCC source and wanted to compile it, only to find out that to compile it I need a compiler (?!).

So how do I get GCC installed? Is there a way to get it via tce-load? Keep in mind that I'm looking towards installing the GCC core.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Installing GCC
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:30:24 PM »
you could use the gcc extension, but better to use the compiletc "meta-extension" which will also install binutitls, headers, etc

Offline ThemePark

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:48 PM »
Thanks, I had somehow missed that being in the list.

But then what if I want to remove some of the apps/tcz files? How can I do that? I've read about tcz and tce-uninstall, but they don't seem to exist anymore.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
You don't have to load the compiletc meta-extension, you could download/install only the component extensions you need.

To remove some of the apps in the extensions you can take the "brute force" approach and delete the files/symlinks you don't need - of course you need to think before acting less you delete something that is still required.

You could also download an extension and edit it to make your own customised extension prior to loading it - this takes longer, but would be the more "elegant" solution.

Offline ThemePark

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:31:44 PM »
Well, what I meant is if there's a command line version of removing apps, just like tce-load installs apps. I ask this because I'm basing my VM on micro core and therefore only have a terminal present.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
There used to be a tcz-uninstall script, but I think it was removed due to the risk of unpredictable results.

Offline ThemePark

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 09:55:19 PM »
Alright, I see, thanks. But how can I delete the installed apps? I've removed everything from /usr/local/bin and /tmp/tcloop, but when I reboot everything is restored.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »
You need to remove it from your /tce dir, or it reinstalls upon reboot.  I use the update script -rem option. 

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
..maybe the best would be to move the extensions to /tce/optional. That way they will show up in the appbrowser "load local" but will not load on-reboot

Offline ThemePark

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
I had missed the /mnt/hda1/tce directory, so I deleted everything inside that along with /opt/tce and /tmp/tce. So thank you for your help. :)