WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Corepure64 15.0  (Read 1199 times)

Offline loid

Corepure64 15.0
« on: May 17, 2024, 11:03:05 AM »
Currently I have a laptop with Win10 and Mint 21.3 on it. I need to keep Win10 for Turbo Tax  :( ... These both work as expected. Using Mint 21.3 I formatted a usb3.2 drive as ext4, then with Mint created a bootable usb drive with Corepure64 15.0 on it.

Now comes the funky part. My boot menu has usb drive as the initial os if present.  The laptop recognizes the TCL os and displays the following.
tc
  tce
  tcm (this one could be different as I am doing this from memory...)
  tcw 

and list a grub message at the bottom.

I have selected one at a time all 4 from the list above and get nothing but a blank screen and have to power down to unlock the laptop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Loid

Offline Leee

Re: Corepure64 15.0
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2024, 12:59:48 PM »
Currently I have a laptop with Win10 and Mint 21.3 on it. I need to keep Win10 for Turbo Tax  :( ... These both work as expected. Using Mint 21.3 I formatted a usb3.2 drive as ext4, then with Mint created a bootable usb drive with Corepure64 15.0 on it.

Now comes the funky part. My boot menu has usb drive as the initial os if present.  The laptop recognizes the TCL os and displays the following.
tc
  tce
  tcm (this one could be different as I am doing this from memory...)
  tcw 

and list a grub message at the bottom.

I have selected one at a time all 4 from the list above and get nothing but a blank screen and have to power down to unlock the laptop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Loid
What graphics hardware does your laptop have and what make and model of laptop is it?  Through the haze of time, I remember occasionally having laptops behave similarly - I think having to do with whether or not graphics-KERNEL.tcz was loaded.  Maybe try using the "text" boot code to prevent it trying to run a GUI and see what happens.

Other than that...

I'm not a Mint user so maybe this is self evident to those who are, but exactly how did you create the bootable USB drive?
Can you post the grub.cfg file from the USB stick and the directory tree layout of the USB stick?
core 14.0 x86_64

Offline loid

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 02:01:48 PM »
 HP Omen i7

Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: HP product: OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dh1xxx v: N/A serial: <superuser required>
    Chassis: type: 10 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: HP model: 8746 v: 04.26 serial: <superuser required> UEFI: AMI v: F.05 date: 05/09/2020

grafics is nVidia GTX 1660
grub.cnf:

if loadfont unicode ; then
    set gfxmode=auto
    set gfxpayload=keep
    set gfxterm_font=unicode
    terminal_output gfxterm
fi

menuentry "tc" {
  linux /boot/vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 cde vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3
  initrd /boot/corepure64.gz
}

menuentry "tcw" {
  linux /boot/vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 cde waitusb=5 vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3
}

menuentry "core" {
  linux /boot/vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 vga=791
}

menuentry "corew" {
  linux /boot/vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 waitusb=5 vga=791
}

It appears the vga=791 may have to be set to 795. 

Do I need to specify parameters with the tc command when the boot screen opens?

Directory structure:
TCL
  boot
  cde
  EFI

With the unmodified folders and files in each subdirectory.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 02:26:14 PM by loid »

Offline Leee

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 12:10:33 AM »
If the cde directory is writable, then it should be named tce instead of cde

Is there an   onboot.lst   file in the cde directory?  If so, what does it contain?

I have no (successful) experience with nvidia graphics, so if the issue is related to that, we'll have to tag someone more knowledgeable on the subject.

The more I think of it, the more I suspect it is a graphics issue - otherwise I would expect to at least se some error message from grub before (or instead of) going black.

Maybe try specifying text on the linux line for which ever boot entry you select:
Code: [Select]
menuentry "tc" {
  linux /boot/vmlinuz64 loglevel=3 cde vga=791 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 text
}

core 14.0 x86_64