WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing tinycore on the eee pc 900a using the embedded install tc tool ?  (Read 1947 times)

Offline bigpcman

I'm switching over my tc usage from my now mortally wounded p3 laptop to an eee pc 900a 4GB. I have tc up and running fine using an SD card. Since XANDROS is of no use to me and I need the entire 4GB for something else I would like to replace it with tc.

I'm wondering if I use the tc install tool that comes with tc will I lose the multi device boot functionality or is this all supported by the BIOS.
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
Seems to be a bios function.

Here is my experience with netbooks...

Most conservative approach is to edit the existing grub menu.lst to add tinycore
Make and copy tinycore files and extensions to these directories.
Boot and test. Then delete Xandros directories, be sure to leave boot/grub
Multi device boot will of course still work, as only directories and grub menu were touched.
I have done this to an eeepc 900A 4MB SSD and to a Dell Mini 9 4MB SSD

If you use the automatic installation script in tinycore, usbinstall, it will wipe out the grub boot loader.
On an eeepc S101, I used the usbinstall script, ext option to wipe out an XP installed on 16MB SSD.
It boots fine with extlinux boot loader and the auto installation worked great.
It still has the multi device boot available.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline bigpcman

Thanks for the response. I've been looking at the usbinstall script and I see what you mean. It zeros out the MBR and creates and formats a new partition. I see that you use a command I have never heard of:

rotdash $!

What does this command do?
big pc man

Offline roberts

• Retired Admins
  • Founder Emeritus
rotdash is rotating dash. It is just an indicator that the system is busy doing somehting.
It is a function in /etc/init.d/tc-functions.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.