WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Install HyperPixel 4 on piCore  (Read 1774 times)

Offline cosminbro

Install HyperPixel 4 on piCore
« on: February 06, 2023, 06:27:21 AM »
How can I install HyperPixel 4 on piCore? I manage to install using official driver on GitHub, but only on raspbian.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
Re: Install HyperPixel 4 on piCore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 09:56:10 AM »
The driver should work fine, just the install script needs to be performed manually, since things are in different spots on piCore.

Offline cosminbro

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 10:37:16 AM »
in newer version of Raspberry Pi Bullseye, I saw hyperpixel4 display driver was integrated, so I try with piCore 64 v14.0, modifying the config.txt, but it doesnțt display anything...
https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel4/issues/177

It eventually works on Rasperry Pi OS 64 bit (desktop or lite) only by manually install the hyperpixel4 driver, but in piCore 64 14.0 the installation script doesn't work. (as specified on https://github.com/pimoroni/hyperpixel4/tree/pi4)

Please help to make the installation script work on piCore, thanks!

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2023, 11:24:38 AM »
The script will never work, its designed for RaspiOS.   You have to read the script and then perform the actions the piCore way.

I hope your not going to put a display on your pi that is playing audio.    That is going to make audiophiles start twitching.

Offline cosminbro

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2023, 11:34:21 AM »
The script will never work, its designed for RaspiOS.   You have to read the script and then perform the actions the piCore way.

I hope your not going to put a display on your pi that is playing audio.    That is going to make audiophiles start twitching.

Of course not, it will be on another pi. I keep things as light as possible on the pi device that is playing audio. I'll come back ASAP here too, with a tutorial for making one of the the smallest and best audiophile sounding network player on the market based on piCore, a rpi device and other key hardware devices. All of them has made possible a true high-end network audio player who rivals best-in-class audiophile network players.

Btw, audiophiles may start anything they want, I'm one of them  :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 11:43:57 AM by cosminbro »

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
lol.

BTW, the hyperpixel works fine, I use it.  It should be straight forward.   Just read the install script and do the functions manually.  I have not used the new overlays supplied in the new kernels though.

Paul

Offline cosminbro

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »
lol.

BTW, the hyperpixel works fine, I use it.  It should be straight forward.   Just read the install script and do the functions manually.  I have not used the new overlays supplied in the new kernels though.

Paul

Btw, is there a way to run hyperpixel4 without the need to install Xorg and other related libraries? Some simple way to directly output to hyperpixel, or something.

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 05:39:09 PM »
Any application that works directly on a framebuffer will work.   What are you trying to do?

Offline cosminbro

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2023, 12:16:21 AM »
Any application that works directly on a framebuffer will work.   What are you trying to do?
Roon have a functionality to display an info screen on a chromecast device, with info regarding current album, track and lyrics. It will be interesting to display that info on a rpi with hyperpixel4 for example

Offline Paul_123

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2023, 09:41:25 AM »
getting piCore to be a chromecast device might be a trick.  But I don't use chromecast for anything.   Probably better a question to ask on a Roon forum.

Did you get the screen running?  At lease displaying a console?