WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Unicode characters issue in the browser  (Read 1185 times)

Offline cmk

Unicode characters issue in the browser
« on: September 13, 2022, 06:38:52 AM »
Hi guys

I've been searching for similar questions through out the forum but didn't find an answer to my issue.
I have a strange behavior of how the unicode characters are being displayed in the browser, sometimes
they do, sometimes not, like for instance here on LinkedIn I can't see Ukrainian characters while they are
displayed properly on youtube for instance.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPE0LhPunGJCBE2izx43uIMIxwFP7LjXqZz0tIF

Is there a way to fix it?

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Unicode characters issue in the browser
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2022, 07:05:09 AM »
Hi cmk
It's possible LinkedIn dose not support unicode:
Code: [Select]
Unicode is used to encode letters, symbols, and digits with values applied to different programs and platforms as a universal character standard.

Although it is not part of the LinkedIn platform, this technique can be utilized in LinkedIn or on other social media to change from the standard plain font available.
Found here:
https://vista.today/2021/01/how-to-add-unicode-to-your-linkedin-profile/

Offline cmk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »
Hi cmk
It's possible LinkedIn dose not support unicode:
Code: [Select]
Unicode is used to encode letters, symbols, and digits with values applied to different programs and platforms as a universal character standard.

Although it is not part of the LinkedIn platform, this technique can be utilized in LinkedIn or on other social media to change from the standard plain font available.
Found here:
https://vista.today/2021/01/how-to-add-unicode-to-your-linkedin-profile/

Hi Rich, thank you, maybe there's another way to "localize" fonts in a web browser?
On Linux Mint, before migrating to Tiny Core Linux I had all of the fonts including Chinese and Korean.
I'm not sure whether unicode was used and I'm just looking for a way to learn how fonts work on linux.

For instance when I wanted to change the font in Aterm I downloaded terminus font as an extension and then installed it
via following the instructions in the .info file and all worked like a charm. So maybe there's a way to somehow install fonts/locales
so that they work in a browser? Sorry if the question is not correct I'm new to setting up fonts manually on linux.
It's totally fine if it won't work eventually, I just wanna learn how to setup fonts (locales?) manually.
Is there any "howto" for that?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2022, 07:35:20 AM »
To set up a locale see the getlocale extension info file.

Setting up a browser font is as easy as loading a font extension and then choosing that font in the browser menu.

Offline cmk

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 08:45:29 AM »
To set up a locale see the getlocale extension info file.

Setting up a browser font is as easy as loading a font extension and then choosing that font in the browser menu.

Thank you!