WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: A Small TCL x64 on USB  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Sashank999

A Small TCL x64 on USB
« on: November 07, 2020, 02:55:47 AM »
Hi !

I have a USB of 2GB. I want x64 TCL on it. I downloaded the Core(as it is small) and now, I need a GUI.

I can still download the Xfbdev, aterm, wbar and flwm but that is still huge for me. I would like to try wayland (as its size is in KBs). Can I have a small tutorial on how to setup a basic desktop with text editor and terminal being only things I need along with a window manager
 on wayland ?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: A Small TCL x64 on USB
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 03:02:04 AM »
You can try the wayland reference compositor named weston.

Weston comes with a terminal and you can use any gtk3 app - see the weston info file for how to start it.

Note that, as per the apps gui size tab, weston is 60mb.

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 03:06:48 AM »
Hi !

Thanks for the quick reply. But, the weston itself uses the whole Xorg tczs and is huge. Are there any alternatives ? I don't care if its Xorg or Wayland. I just need these requirements. Only these.

My needs (none other than these) :
Very less in size
Need a GUI Text Editor and GUI Terminal
Resizable windows
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:13:09 AM by Sashank999 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 03:21:05 AM »
I believe that until/if fltk gets a wayland backend, the smallest option is Xfbdev/flwm/aterm/beaver.

There may be a way to repackage Xorg/wayland/weston differently to bring the size down, but I'm unsure of how much of a difference it will make.

Offline Sashank999

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:25:48 AM »
Hi !

Old method is always good. Thanks for saying that no other method is available (I would have wasted time searching). No need to repackage. The old X11 method is good for now.

When will TCL v12 be released (just asking out of curiosity) ?

It is a huge thing to be done but I am asking this so that I can create a small local repo (gcc, tcc and some other things to restart creating apps for TCL) for the new version if it comes soon enough.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 03:35:48 AM »
We're waiting for the next lts kernel, 5.10

We don't as yet know which gcc version will be used, so I'm not sure there's much point compiling anything in advance - most tc-11.x apps will work in tc-12.x anyway.