WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: UEFI - not complicated!  (Read 2172 times)

Offline PDP-8

UEFI - not complicated!
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:45:12 PM »
UEFI - you are already free, but don't know it.  MYTHS are what trap you about it.

Some guys at work wanted to build a MS-free usb stick to the point where they don't want recognize FAT nor any of it's relatives.  Even to the point where they won't put fat32 support into their efi files.

But they begrudingly make ONE exception, thinking that they are forced to use fat32 / vfat for their small efi boot partition.  That's problematic if you don't put that support into the efi file, but I digress...

What I told the zealots is that instead of leaning on hearsay about the UEFI specs, or convenient lies about it hinging on the word "should support" somehow being mandatory when it is not, (or simply removed from their notes from the rando blogger) the simplest solution was to point them to the RUFUS FAQ about it:

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/wiki/FAQ#Blah_UEFI_Blah_FAT32_therefore_Rufus_should_Blah

"I'm not going to believe what some windows-based utility guy writes!"

Ok fine, live in your cage, but don't ask me to open the door.  It's already open.  You could use *ANY* filesystem for the efi boot partition.

Like reading Tinycore faqs, it's best to read *slowly*. :)

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline nick65go

Re: UEFI - not complicated!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:24:03 AM »
I am a free person and I do know it! The wrong decisions we make during our life could put us in a cage. Nationality can be selected by a human later in his life, same as the tools of the trade.

If UEFI firmware in the laptop bought from common companies (Dell, HP etc.) support just FAT* then that is the cage. Buying from the wrong manufacture (lazy enough to not support other filesystem in their firmware). Case close.

About myths which trap you:
If I would be an "alien"/non-US person (aka from Russia, China), do you think that I will TRUST an US-made CPU/GPU/APU (Intel, AMD) and an UEFI (US-Microsoft approved) to run my computers, [with US-software], for my key parts of my country, like hospitals, government documents, military /encrypted communications, research laboratories?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:25:40 AM by nick65go »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
Re: UEFI - not complicated!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 10:44:09 AM »

perhaps some method to "explore #UEFI #firmware"

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,24444.msg155004.html#msg155004

make it more or less easy to  grok / quantify