WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How i can create a blank black screen?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Jusnim

How i can create a blank black screen?
« on: June 20, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »
Hey Guys,
i have at home a few All-in-One-Pcs (Tower+Monitor in One) and i want to use them with the TinyCore Distribution without graphical interface . So i did everything what it requires but im still stuck on one thing: I want to it seems like their are off, i just want a blank black screen after startup where u can't see what's going on. I dont know if its necessary to know, but there are different CPUs and GPUs build in. I hope you can help me to solve this little problem  ;D

Jusnim

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: How i can create a blank black screen?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 05:35:36 PM »
Hi Jusnim
Welcome to the forum.

... i want to use them with the TinyCore Distribution without graphical interface . ...
So you are not starting X (Xvesa or Xorg)..

... , i just want a blank black screen after startup where u can't see what's going on. ...
A couple of ideas:
If you are running 32 bit, install  vbetool.tcz  onboot. Then add this to your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file:
Code: [Select]
vbetool dpms off
Another thing you can try is adding this to your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file:
vlock -aThis is supplied by  busybox.suid  and applies to both 32 and 64 bit systems.

I had considered suggesting changing the font color to black, but if some program decides to print in color, it will likely be visible.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Hi Jusnim
After a little Googling on file descriptors and redirection I have another possibility. It gets added to your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file.

This should redirect the  stdout  and  stderr  file descriptors to  /dev/null:
exec 1 > /dev/null
exec 2>&1

Offline Jusnim

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 04:30:27 AM »
Hi Rich,
unfortunately all 3 ideas of you didn't work, but i've got further.
Before i had a bunch of Text with different color etc. and however after starting TinyCore i only have one white line of the Terminal.
As you mentioned
I had considered suggesting changing the font color to black
This could be the last solution.
Im looking now through the internet how i can achieve that.

If i figured out how it works and it has a blank black screen, i write back :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:17:52 AM »
Hi Jusnim
I did a search for  *console*  in the  /sys/  directory and found  /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0.  I executed this command as root:
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bindThen when I switched from the GUI to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) I was presented with a black screen. The screen remained black
when I typed the command:
lsThe keyboard was not disabled. I was able to switch back to the GUI (Ctrl-Alt-F2).

I then unblanked the console:
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon1/bindNo,  vtcon1  is not a typo. Blanking  vtcon0  (your console) enables dummy device  vtcon1.  Blanking  vtcon1  enables  vtcon0.
When I switched back to the console I saw the  ls  command I had typed when it was blanked as well as the listing. So the keyboard
is still active, you just can't see the results.

So try adding this to your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file:
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind