WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: feh.tcz.dep missing libjpeg-turbo  (Read 1801 times)

Offline GNUser

feh.tcz.dep missing libjpeg-turbo
« on: January 03, 2020, 06:06:30 AM »
A lot of the functionality in feh requires the tools in libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz. Without these tools, feh overlays red warnings on images.

I don't know what the policy is for including items in .dep files. If the policy to include only items required for the extension to run (e.g., dynamically linked libraries), then feh.tcz.dep is fine. If .dep policy is to include items required for the extension to run and be fully functional, libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz should probably be included in feh.tcz.dep.

P.S. jpegexiforient is usually part of the libjpeg-turbo suite, but it's missing from libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz in Pure64 10.1 (feh notices).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: feh.tcz.dep missing libjpeg-turbo
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 07:23:00 AM »
Hi GNUser
...  If .dep policy is to include items required for the extension to run and be fully functional, libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz should probably be included in feh.tcz.dep. ...
The  .dep  file may not be enough for some extensions to be fully functional since there are a few extensions which have  soft/optional
dependencies. That is typically documented in the  .info  file. The  .dep  file should be enough for an extension to run properly, which
does not appear to be the case in this instance.

This is the  .tree  file for the 64 bit version of  feh:
Code: [Select]
feh.tcz
   imlib2.tcz
   libexif.tcz
   libXinerama.tcz
   curl.tcz
      ca-certificates.tcz
         openssl.tcz
and the  .tree  file for the 32 bit version of  feh:
Code: [Select]
feh.tcz
   libXinerama.tcz
      libXext.tcz
         libX11.tcz
            libxcb.tcz
               libXau.tcz
               libXdmcp.tcz
   libexif.tcz
   giblib.tcz
      imlib2.tcz
         freetype.tcz
            libpng.tcz
         libjpeg-turbo.tcz
         libpng.tcz
         bzip2-lib.tcz
   libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz
      libjpeg-turbo.tcz
   curl.tcz
      ca-certificates.tcz
         openssl.tcz

The 32 bit version lists  libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz  as a direct dependency of  feh. Likely it was an oversight and should be added to the
64 bit  .dep  file.

Though not part of your issue, I see the imlib2.tcz  and  libXinerama.tcz  dependencies are not showing up in the 64 bit  .tree  file.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 07:37:35 AM »
The  .dep  file may not be enough for some extensions to be fully functional since there are a few extensions which have  soft/optional
dependencies. That is typically documented in the  .info  file. The  .dep  file should be enough for an extension to run properly, which
does not appear to be the case in this instance.

Thank you, Rich. This makes sense and is quite helpful.

I agree that while not a hard dependency, feh needs libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz to "run properly". Maybe one of the devs can add it to Pure64's feh.tcz.dep.

P.S. If there is interest, I can take the current libjpeg-turbo-bin.tcz extension and repackage it to include jpegexiforient. It would be a binary-only enhancement because compiling libjpeg-turbo requires java, which is tricky to install on TCL. Just let me know.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 07:42:08 AM by GNUser »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:42:45 AM »
I’ll take a look.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 03:30:37 AM »
feh dep file adjusted in x86_64 tc-10.x

It looks like jpegexiforient/exifautotran are in an additional package not included in the libjpeg-turbo source?

Note that java is not required to build libjpeg-turbo.

Offline GNUser

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 07:01:46 AM »
Thanks, juanito.

It does seem that jpegexiforient is coming from a different source. Strange that Debian includes it with the other tools.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/libjpeg-turbo-progs

Offline GNUser

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
It turns out that the jpegexiforient utility is part of the Independent JPEG Group's libjpeg suite. Source code is here: http://jpegclub.org/jpegexiforient.c

I created and submitted a tiny extension with jpegexiforient compiled from the source code above.
If extension is accepted, kindly add it to feh.tcz.dep as one of feh's dependencies.