WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: when new kernel x64 we should expect for Tinycore?  (Read 3545 times)

Offline nick65go

when new kernel x64 we should expect for Tinycore?
« on: August 18, 2019, 02:33:59 AM »
"Building The Default x86_64 Linux Kernel In Just 16 Seconds" article on Phoronix.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-16-Seconds-AMD-EPYC-2P
"It used to be that building out the Linux kernel could easily take the time needed to enjoy a beverage or have a meal while now with the EPYC 7742 2P it's easy to build the Linux kernel in just 15~16 seconds"
Yes, I undestand that the developers have limited resources, such as time, devices/laptops/PC; And yes, the main time is comsumed on testing/debuging. But the Core is mostly about kernels and tools (busybox, flwm), less about tcz-appls. Also new kernels are bigger, unfortunatly. But so is core from 7-10 MB in past time versus 16 MB today.

The main trend is also UEFI (unfortunatly), so x64 forced on us. But the main advantage could be:
  • - the never ending cicle of meltdown and/or securities patches,
  • - new DRM improvments for AMD GPU; Xorg advanmcements depend on kernel also.
  • - new microcode (?) / firmware not back-ported- pacthes for file-systems, wire-guard wifi on horizont, etc
I loved (and I still prefer) x86 linux. But sadly x64 bloat will conquer. I am paying for it already (limited option to avoid x64; old hardware available only on unreliable second-hand deviced).

So, do TC developers have an estimate of new kernel issues? Thanks
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 02:40:27 AM by nick65go »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: when new kernel x64 we should expect for Tinycore?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:18:19 AM »
You can run a 32bit kernel with 64bit uefi.

What do you mean by “estimate of new kernel issues”?

Offline nick65go

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
I mean, which month of 2019 year (if any), for a new kernel version, like from 4.x up to 5.x

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
There's more to a distribution than the Linux kernel version. Most of the other packages need to be updated as well. That takes more time and testing. Are you willing to help?

Offline Pats

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 06:45:21 PM »
Correct ! ... Also who can better tell on new Linux kernel version release  , other than Linus T ?  :)

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »

processors with up to 64 cores / 128 threads per socket

reminded of
OpenBSD Disabling SMT / Hyper Threading 

my guess is the open-bsd dev's are probably indifferent about the new hw  ;D