WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCorePure64 install -> error: "failed in waitforX"  (Read 4577 times)

SeventhSin

TinyCorePure64 install -> error: "failed in waitforX"
« on: July 01, 2019, 01:33:45 PM »
Hello all,

As per Subject. Frugal install from TinyCorePure64 (there is no TinyCorePlusPure64 ISO available for download), results in X not being started. The reason for this is a missing entry from /mnt/sda1/tce/onboot.lst , namely: Xvesa.

Attempts to install Xvesa (tce-load -wi xvesa | tce-load -wi Xvesa | tce-load -wi xvesa.tcz | tce-load -wi Xvesa.tcz) all fail with:

Code: [Select]
Connecting to mirror blah-blah-blah (tested a handful)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
md5sum: Xvesa.tcz.md5.tcz: No such file or directory
Error on Xvesa.tcz

Furthermore, I have notice that although I allow the "Apps" extension to probe for the fastest mirror on first run, upon installation the /opt/tcemirror file defaults to repo.tinycorelinux. I don't find this behavior optimal, but do what you will with that.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: TinyCorePure64 install -> error: "failed in waitforX"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:56:23 PM »
Hello all,

As per Subject. Frugal install from TinyCorePure64 (there is no TinyCorePlusPure64 ISO available for download), results in X not being started. The reason for this is a missing entry from /mnt/sda1/tce/onboot.lst , namely: Xvesa.
Plus? no..   but did you look here for a default onboot.list which uses Xfbdev video?
http://tinycorelinux.net/10.x/x86_64/release/TinyCorePure64-10.1.iso

Attempts to install Xvesa (tce-load -wi xvesa | tce-load -wi Xvesa | tce-load -wi xvesa.tcz | tce-load -wi Xvesa.tcz) all fail with:

Code: [Select]
Connecting to mirror blah-blah-blah (tested a handful)
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
md5sum: Xvesa.tcz.md5.tcz: No such file or directory
Error on Xvesa.tcz
tinycorepure64 uses Xfddev (plus vga=xxx bootcode) or Xorg

Furthermore, I have notice that although I allow the "Apps" extension to probe for the fastest mirror on first run, upon installation the /opt/tcemirror file defaults to repo.tinycorelinux. I don't find this behavior optimal, but do what you will with that.
I always use tinycorelinux.net for the most up to date repo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:59:02 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:15:42 PM »
Hi SeventhSin
Regarding Xvesa:
Forgot to ask: Why no xvesa for 64bit?

It's not possible to execute VESA bios calls in 64-bit mode. Xorg's vesa driver has an emulator, so it is able to do it nowadays.

Also, your understanding of the lists is correct. The ISOs just have a different setup you'd usually have.

SeventhSin

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »
tinycorepure64 uses Xfddev (plus vga=xxx bootcode) or Xorg

Right, I was comparing with a TinyCore (x86) setup. The issue still stands though. I am testing in a VMWare VM: booting the TinyCorePure64.iso image => I successfully end up with a desktop. However, installing to the VM drive, results in the error mentioned in the Subject: failed in waitforX. The /mnt/sda1/tce/onboot.lst seems identical with /mnt/sd0/cde/onboot.lst from before installation.

I know I can just install open-vm-tools-desktop and be done with it, however I want to understand what's going on here.

SeventhSin

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:17:45 PM »
It's not possible to execute VESA bios calls in 64-bit mode. Xorg's vesa driver has an emulator, so it is able to do it nowadays.

My bad, I was comparing 2 different ISO's (TinyCore & TinyCorePure64). Thanks for claryfing the Xvesa issue, I didn't know that.

SeventhSin

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 02:29:31 PM »
dmesg shows nothing suspicious and /var/log contains only autologin & wtmp.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Hi SeventhSin
... Thanks for claryfing the Xvesa issue, I didn't know that.
You're not the first, you won't be the last. :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 12:28:54 AM »
Xfbdev can't start without a framebuffer; does your 64-bit install have the vga=xxx bootcode?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

SeventhSin

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
Xfbdev can't start without a framebuffer; does your 64-bit install have the vga=xxx bootcode?

@curaga, you nailed it! This is in fact the issue: on TinyCorePure64 boot ISO, the boot loader includes vga=791 boot code. Although absolutely required by Xfbdev the installation app makes no effort to check & add a vga=xxx boot code in case none is provided.

Suggestion:

Update the installer to set up the boot loader with a most necessary vga=xxx in case the user doesn't specify any during installation. Skip if a vga=xxx boot code is present.