Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Corepure64

alsa-config.tcz inserted into alsa.tcz.dep ?

(1/2) > >>

nick65go:

--- Code: ---c@box:~$ arecord -c2 -d2 -f dat test.wav
ALSA lib conf.c:3731:(snd_config_hook_load) cannot stat file/directory /usr/local/etc/alsa/cards/aliases.conf
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.default
arecord: main:828: audio open error: No such file or directory

tc@box:~$ aplatc@box:~$ aplay test.wav
ALSA lib conf.c:3731:(snd_config_hook_load) cannot stat file/directory /usr/local/etc/alsa/cards/aliases.conf
ALSA lib pcm.c:2501:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.default
aplay: main:828: audio open error: No such file or directory
--- End code ---

but the file '/usr/local/etc/alsa/cards/aliases.conf' is in alsa-config.tcz
so, few files from alsa.tcz should be in alsa-config.tcz, or  alsa-config.tcz inserted into alsa.tcz.dep ?

Juanito:
alsa-config is kept separate from alsa because it is nearly 1mb in size and is not required in many situations - if you do need it, load it before alsa.

nick65go:
I have no problem with still keeping them separated. But as I suggested, then maybe arecord (and others) should not be in alsa.tcz
IMHO, any tool in a tcz (without dependency) should work alone, right?

Juanito:
You have a point - the problem is that there are so many hardware possibilities for sound that it is almost impossible to get things right for everybody..

jazzbiker:

--- Quote from: nick65go on May 13, 2019, 12:46:54 AM ---I have no problem with still keeping them separated. But as I suggested, then maybe arecord (and others) should not be in alsa.tcz
IMHO, any tool in a tcz (without dependency) should work alone, right?

--- End quote ---
Hi, nick65go!

I am TC newbie, but will try to say a pair of words. As i see, TinyCore extensions are built to allow you get  the full spectre of software features, starting from the basic minimum and finishing with the full-pack. So usually you have two extensions for every suite. So maintainers alsa.tcz compiled sources and divided the output directory tree into two parts - the absolutely needed minimum (without any docs and mans) was packed into alsa.tcz, the rest was put into alsa-config.tcz. For example i use alsa.tcz alone, alsa-config was needed only for the first steps and configuring.
So if maintainers will pack everything into one extension they will leave me without possibility not to overload the system with unused files.
It is excellent approach, for me it is one of TinyCore's killer-features.
I want remind you other Linuxes, for example Debian. You can

--- Code: ---sudo apt install conky-cli
sudo apt install conky
sudo apt install conky-full

--- End code ---

As it was told in Corebook (the brilliant one, i am not tired to repeat!) one of TinyCore concepts is to keep system clean.

So i hope you are not against my attitude to use only alsa basic tools without additional software?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version