WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox no longer starts?  (Read 7075 times)

Offline tclfan

Firefox no longer starts?
« on: July 07, 2009, 10:33:24 PM »
I do not know if it is just me - Firefox does not start anymore for me.
Specifics:
TCL 2.1 fresh LiveCD from ISO. No modifications/remastering.
Firefox freshly installed - both tce and tcz.
Icon installs fine, however clicking on it does nothing that is visible.
I do not know at what release point it started exhibiting this behaviour, but was behaving well recently...

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
Re: Firefox no longer starts?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:54:47 PM »
It is missing the libasound dependency for those who do not run alsa as I have yet to add it in.  Doing it now.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:46:57 AM »
It is missing the libasound dependency for those who do not run alsa as I have yet to add it in.  Doing it now.
Thanks much.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:06:35 AM »
Jason,

I know it is probably too much to ask, but is there any way to make a slim version of Firefox, without dependencies, sound, extra fat, etc. Just pure browser, like Opera. I know you may say: Just use Opera. Opera is great, however Firefox has a critical function - prints to PDF, which Opera doeas not have. Less critical - page rendering on some sites and better (smoother) font. Slim to the bone version of Firefox (Tiny Firefox?) would be a great asset to TCL...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:50 AM »
@TCLFAN: did you just describe minefield? :D

About print to pdf - a workaround would be print to PS, convert to pdf using gs (ps2pdf is a part of Ghostscript)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:24:23 AM »
@TCLFAN: did you just describe minefield? :D

Yes, Minefield crossed my mind, except I was missing PDf print. Thanks for the Ghostscript way, I was aware of this (actually it is used by some pdf printers). I may have to go this way, although it is more cumbersome than quick and easy... I'll check if Minefield is still available in TCE repository, I remember it was default in TCL 1, then changed to Firefox... Since then I was using Opera permanently installed and Firefox in Optional, but maybe Minefield will reduce the number of browsers needed...

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:07:51 AM »
I had considered making a custom build of Seamonkey to minimize resource usage.  Curaga has minefield (Firefox 3.0.x) and maybe a custom build of Firefox 3.5 could be done.  I didn't go ahead with Seamonkey as I didn't want to spend all my time ironing out the quirks of a custom build, but the need for faster and lighter browsing is definitely there.  Perhaps Curaga or I could give Firefox 3.5 a go and see if it can't be trimmed down.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »
I believe printing to pdf comes from Gnome-print, which is a huge dependency and so not included in minefield.

I likely won't have time to mess with FF/Minefield in a long while, so Jason if you wish to update it it would be welcome.

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 05:23:20 PM »
I will go ahead then with a custom build of Firefox 3.5 and Seamonkey.  Once the build details are set they shouldn't be too hard to keep current with each release. 

These will be minimal/optimized builds and hopefully some performance gains can be realized as well as reduction in dependencies.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
I will go ahead then with a custom build of Firefox 3.5 and Seamonkey. 

These will be minimal/optimized builds and hopefully some performance gains can be realized as well as reduction in dependencies.
Jason,

Thank you very much. It is greatly appreciated, just to let you know...

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Shiretoko is the new name of the custom Firefox.  I probably won't build Seamonkey as custom as a minimal browser only install is available through the official installer.  And the official build of Seamonkey performs quite well as it is.

Offline tclfan

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
Shiretoko is the new name of the custom Firefox. 
My understanding of this is that Shiretoko (In this context) is a somewhat optimized version in relation to Firefox 3.5, similar to the way Minefield was in relation to Firefox. I did not have a chance to do any good comparison, but from a quick glance Firefox 3.5 appears to require about twice memory in relation to Minefield. Do we have any rough idea how much is Shiretoko optimized and perhaps how compares to Minefield?
Also as I understand Minefield will no longer be maintained and is replaced by Shiretoko as the new version?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:30:18 AM »
I believe that minefield will stay in the repo for those who wish to use it, as long as it works.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:33:06 AM by curaga »

Offline tclfan

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 11:16:26 AM »
I believe that minefield will stay in the repo for those who wish to use it, as long as it works.
This will be appreciated. Seems the most lean of FF flavors so far, this is perhaps before Jason may come up with more aggressively optimized version Shiretoko/Firefox, which would be great.
In the interim I will save Minefield TCE, just in case it disappears from repository...

Offline Jason W

• Retired Admins
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:35:42 AM »
Here is the config for Shiretoko:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/2.x/tce/src/shiretoko/mozconfig

It is still a hog, though the --enable-jemalloc option was used to hopefully trim memory usage.  I took a look at the swiftfox patch that they used on version 3.5r3 and saw that it only changes some default settings like history retention and maximum connections to a server.  It didn't look like it had things that would really change performance beyond being optimized for each specific archetecture.  I built Shiretoko as i686 to perhaps improve performance; those with i586 or lower would be much better off with another browser choice.  

I am definitely in favor of keeping Minefield available as the Firefox 3.0.x choice.  I know they say not to use older browsers, but for non critical web surfing it would be nice to keep choices around for those with lower RAM machines.  I may give a custom Bon Echo 2.0.0.20 gtk2 build a go to provide the most recent Firefox 2.x. 

Choice is of course a good thing, and using an older browser version is taking advantage of the lower resource requirements while understanding the mild security risk it may involve.  I heard it once said that practicing security is more important than patching for security.  If you do not practice security but keep your system up to date, you may be at more risk than the user of older software releases that uses good security practices.