Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Fluxbox slow startup (~15 seconds)

<< < (2/5) > >>

aus9:

--- Quote ---onboot.lst
--- End quote ---

You appear to load lots of firmware, forgive me, but have you checked that you need that many?

If you use a boot code like "syslog"  and check your log or dmesg or  you may find not all are required?

2) I suspect you don't need ezremaster.tcz each boot either. My 2 cents worth

coreplayer2:
Welcome hobophil

When you install TC from a CD image to a drive (HDD or USB) it's important to ensure the system is booting and is also loading extensions from the desired drive, which unfortunately is not intuitive for the new TC user.   This is particularly important when you have multiple installations, like a tinycore cd in the cd drive, a USB install, and various HDD installations.  Do not make the mistake of thinking tinycore is booting and loading extensions from the drive you selected, because that's not how it works.

The key to a successful and efficient installation is a boot config file which correctly specifies the drive and path to the selected extension store (tce).    Not forgetting the importance of making efficient use of both onboot.lst and ondemand features, Unlike the inept onboot.lst file listed in the first post.

Ideally,  an efficient onboot.lst file's contents will not include unused extensions or extensions which are dependencies of other extensions, there's a dep file for each extension listing required deps which are loaded when needed, they don't need loading twice...

Regarding the onboot.lst, start with the minimal list of required extensions then add only those extensions required for your hardware which can be found usually within the last 50 line of dmesg output

I'd bet that at least 60% of the extensions listed in your onboot.lst file are not needed

--- Quote ---
--- Code: ---Xorg-7.7.tcz
aterm.tcz
wbar.tcz
wifi.tcz
wl-modules-4.14.10-tinycore.tcz
iw.tcz
pci-utils.tcz
ndiswrapper.tcz
firmware-atheros.tcz
firmware-broadcom_bcm43xx.tcz
firmware-broadcom_bnx2.tcz
firmware-broadcom_bnx2x.tcz
firmware-getB43.tcz
firmware-ipw2100.tcz
firmware-ipw2200.tcz
firmware-iwimax.tcz
firmware-iwl8000.tcz
firmware-iwl9000.tcz
firmware-iwlwifi.tcz
firmware-marvel.tcz
firmware-myri10ge.tcz
firmware-netxen.tcz
firmware-openfwwf.tcz
firmware-ralinkwifi.tcz
firmware-rtl8192ce_se_de.tcz
firmware-rtlwifi.tcz
firmware-ti-connectivity.tcz
firmware-ueagle-atm.tcz
firmware-vxge.tcz
firmware-zd1211.tcz
firmware.tcz
tc-install-GUI.tcz
ezremaster.tcz
nano.tcz
alsa-config.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
firmware-radeon.tcz
firmware-amd-ucode.tcz
graphics-4.14.10-tinycore.tcz
terminus-fonts.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
vlc2.tcz

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---
the above should be reduced tremendously

Start with this, assuming you need the AMD and wl support then check dmesg until all hardware and wifi is working

--- Code: ---Xorg-7.7.tcz
aterm.tcz
wbar.tcz
Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
wifi.tcz
wl-modules-4.14.10-tinycore.tcz
pci-utils.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
firmware-radeon.tcz
firmware-amd-ucode.tcz
alsa.tcz
terminus-fonts.tcz
nano.tcz

--- End code ---

you can add vlc2  via ondemand

if you really need wl-modules for a broadcom device don't forget to blacklist the bcma, ssb and b43 modules.  then temporarily load firmware-getB43.tcz and run it to install your wifi firmware (if needed)

coreplayer2:
On reflection, you might find this example a more efficient and functional onboot.lst for your system.
remember to add wifi drivers if necessary and only firmware specific for your wifi hardware

--- Code: ---wbar.tcz
aterm.tcz
imlib2-bin.tcz
libxcb.tcz
libXfont.tcz
libXi.tcz
libXmu.tcz
libXpm.tcz
libXrandr.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
firmware-radeon.tcz
firmware-amd-ucode.tcz
Xorg-7.7.tcz
fluxbox.tcz
alsa.tcz
wifi.tcz

--- End code ---

unless you like nano, tc comes with editor already..

hobophil:

--- Quote from: core-user on September 29, 2018, 02:28:17 AM ---
Seems like a clue, is your system trying to run two WMs(?), did you check?

--- End quote ---

No I'm not, but I agree this is weird. I'm not using the bootcode desktop=flwm or anything. I don't think I have any other WM's in the onboot.lst or anywhere else. I do have other WM's in my optional TCE folder.

--- Quote from: curaga on September 29, 2018, 12:51:09 AM ---First look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, perhaps it has some clues. Otherwise you'd need to edit fluxbox source, add timed prints to see where it spends its time.

--- End quote ---

I did look in there, I don't think there was anything relevant in there other than what is in the fluxbox log. I will check again later.

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on September 29, 2018, 11:20:23 AM ---On reflection, you might find this example a more efficient and functional onboot.lst for your system.
remember to add wifi drivers if necessary and only firmware specific for your wifi hardware

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I haven't trimmed stuff away from what was bundled with my default Core Plus iso. I will try reducing it later (away from my PC right now). I will also check that TCEs are loading from the right spot. Do you think that the long onboot.lst is slowing down the window manager startup though? My "fast" booting HDD has a pretty long onboot.lst too, not very much different.  Also, why does flwm_topside load fast but Fluxbox is slow, on the same SSD with the same bootcodes? Also please note I am talking about the speed as timed from when after all extensions are loaded and the TC command line appears, to when the desktop shows up. Thanks again.

coreplayer2:

--- Quote from: hobophil on September 29, 2018, 02:10:43 PM ---...

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on September 29, 2018, 11:20:23 AM ---On reflection, you might find this example a more efficient and functional onboot.lst for your system.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I haven't trimmed stuff away from what was bundled with my default Core Plus iso. I will try reducing it later (away from my PC right now). I will also check that TCEs are loading from the right spot. Do you think that the long onboot.lst is slowing down the window manager startup though? My "fast" booting HDD has a pretty long onboot.lst too, not very much different.  Also, why does flwm_topside load fast but Fluxbox is slow, on the same SSD with the same bootcodes? Also please note I am talking about the speed as timed from when after all extensions are loaded and the TC command line appears, to when the desktop shows up. Thanks again.

--- End quote ---

1. Please show the contents of your boot config file

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version