WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: tce-uninstall  (Read 12416 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
Re: tce-uninstall
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 09:26:23 AM »

The uninstaller does not remove extensions themselves that reside in your */tce directory.  If you are running totally in RAM, they are removed from /tmp/tce upon loading.  I could add an extra dialog question that would ask if you want to remove the extension(s) in the tce directory as well as uninstall them from the system.  That would make it easier to maintain your /tce folder selection instead of picking through it manually.  But I don't want to mess with the contents of the optional directory since those apps are loaded manually at will.

That was where I  was getting confused, because I think the installed deps get placed automatically into /tcZ with "install selected" option from appsbrowser. If so, the user would have to know what deps are installed from the deps file (and what other apps share them) before deleting them manually. If nothing is done, they get reinstalled at reboot.   

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:07:35 PM »
I'll add the option to delete /path/to/tcedir/extension.tce* sometime this next week when I get time.  I'll also work these same features into /tcz-uinstall.  That would allow for maintaining the tce directory contents in keeping with dependencies.  I am still thinking of merging the two utilities to make a more seamless uninstall experience for those with mixed systems.  It would not add much more complexity to the scripting nor cause more risk of system inconsistency.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
I'd be happy with rules like:

If the app being uninstalled is NOT  in the default /tcZ/tce directory (eg, /optional, etc), then DO NOT delete any dependencies that may be listed in the default directory. 

If the app being uninstalled IS listed in the default directory, provide option to  delete the app along with dependencies that are not in use after app is uninstalled.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:08 AM »
I think you are still unclear about the dependencies issue because your first rule is a situation that would most likely never happen.  Let's say one wants to uninstall gtk1 and it is in the optional directory and you manually installed it first then XMMS.  XMMS installed and the .tce is still in the main tce directory.  So according to the first rule mentioned XMMS would not be able to have it's .tce deleted since it resides in the main tce directory.  But now you go to reboot and XMMS is broken by a missing gtk1 since the XMMS tce is still in the main tce directory.  Mainly, the optional directory is for end use apps that you sometimes use, not libs the system is built with.

Or let's take the reverse and more likely scenario.  You have gtk1 installed and in the main tce directory.  XMMS is installed and left in optional.  You go to uninstall XMMS and gtk1 is not part of that picture as it is a dependency, and not a dependent app.  I think dependency vs dependent app is where there is still some confusion.  Uninstall gtk1 when you also have XMMS installed and you will get a dialog telling you that XMMS is dependent on it.  Uninstall XMMS and you will get no such offer to uninstall gtk1. 

In other words, the first rule you mentioned would leave you rebooting into a broken system if you uninstalled the lib or app not installed from the tce directory that has dependent apps with their tce's in the main tce directory.  If we are going to offer to delete .tce's at all, dependent apps must get deleted from the tce directory if one makes the decision to delete the .tce's or a broken system upon reboot will result.  I must assume that one is not installing low level libraries outside of the tce directory and then placing apps that need that lib into the tce directory.  But even in that case, if one chooses to delete the .tce's of both the uninstalled app and it's dependent apps if they are being uninstalled then those dependent apps would need to be deleted from the tce directory even if the main uninstalled app/lib was not in there or a broken system upon reboot will occur. 

And avoiding a broken system is the goal in the first place. 

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:21 AM »
This is getting confusing  :)   I'm not sure why someone would be using /optional for dependencies, but in the first case there would be the option to uninstall gtk when XMMS was uninstalled from  /tcZ.  I would expect that core dependencies would be in the default folder anyway. 

If gtk was installed in /tcZ and I uninstalled XMMS from /optional, gtk would remain. Personally, I'd like to use the /optional directory for loading/unloading temporary apps without worrying about deleting dependent libraries from the default folder. 

I'm not going to worry about somebody placing core libraries in the /optional folder and arbitrarily uninstalling them.   Sorry about the confusion.....   

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:46:17 AM by jpeters »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 02:19:15 PM »
It's all good, I'm sorry for making it confusing.  The deletion of tce's during uninstall as well as the dependency resolution will hopefully follow a logic that is agreeable.  I will add the deletion of tce's option and we can see if it is something we like.  It can always be reverted or fixed if it does not function like expected.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Updated to delete extension and associated files from active tce directory upon request.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 06:50:37 AM »
Fixed some bugs:  Creating /usr/local/tce.list if not existant, showing all entries of installed tce's, added a .dep file to include needed apps (lsof, wget, openssl).